No retrial date set following mistrial for third man accused in - wistv.com - Columbia, South Carolina

No retrial date set following mistrial for third man accused in 2013 shooting

COLUMBIA, SC (WIS) -

Troy Stevenson remains in jail on Tuesday despite a mistrial declared in his murder case. 

Stevenson was the third man accused in the shooting of a Columbia mother of four in 2013.

Jurors listened to testimony for five days before beginning deliberations on Monday afternoon. However, the deliberations were stopped after prosecutors reported questionable behavior by one of the members of the jury.

Judge Robert Hood said that 11 jurors heard an alternate juror say “I've made up my mind” about the case. Hood also noted that the juror told other jurors "all black people should stick together" and the case was "ridiculous."

According to prosecutors, an alternate juror also embraced or kissed a member of Troy Stevenson's family. The interaction was seen by an investigator in a hall outside the courtroom after alternate jurors were released.

Prosecutors also noted that two female alternate jurors were seen walking down the street with Stevenson's family.

Attorneys for the state also said jurors were discussing evidence during the trial despite orders not to do so. Hood later said the communication was a direct violation of the court's orders.

"The fact that the majority of the jury failed to follow the repeated orders to not discuss the case in any manner with anyone -- given the serious risk of prejudice to both the state and the defendant, Council's in favor of granting a mistrial based upon juror misconduct," Hood said on Monday. "While no one indicated that they cannot be fair or impartial moving forward, it is my belief that the jury has been exposed to pressure from the defendant's family and/or associates and a juror who attempted to improperly persuade the jury and they have openly disregarded the court's instructions to refrain from discussing the case."

Hood went on to say that juror misconduct was “pervasive” in this case.

Stevenson was accused of being a lookout for Trenton Barnes and Lorenzo Young who were both convicted last December in the murder of Kelly Hunnewell.

Stevenson was charged with murder. Last week, he rejected an offered plea agreement.

Barnes, who is Stevenson's half brother, testified on his behalf on Friday. 

A retrial date has not been set for Stevenson, according to the Solicitor's Office. 

Hunnewell was working overnight at a Columbia bakery in July 2013 when she gunned down during an attempted armed robbery.

Copyright 2015 WIS. All rights reserved. 

  • South Carolina news on WIStv.comNEWSMore>>

  • Activists rally against hate on Charlottesville anniversary

    Activists rally against hate on Charlottesville anniversary

    Saturday, August 11 2018 12:44 AM EDT2018-08-11 04:44:22 GMT
    Saturday, August 11 2018 10:15 AM EDT2018-08-11 14:15:34 GMT
    (AP Photo/Steve Helber). Susan Bro, mother of Heather Heyer who was killed during last year's Unite the Right rally, speaks with reporters at the spot where her daughter was killed in Charlottesville, Va., Friday, Aug. 10, 2018. The governor has declar...(AP Photo/Steve Helber). Susan Bro, mother of Heather Heyer who was killed during last year's Unite the Right rally, speaks with reporters at the spot where her daughter was killed in Charlottesville, Va., Friday, Aug. 10, 2018. The governor has declar...

    Police are blocking off streets and mobilizing hundreds of officers for the anniversary of a deadly white nationalist rally in Charlottesville, Virginia, alarming activists who plan to rally against the hatred that...

    More >>

    Police are blocking off streets and mobilizing hundreds of officers for the anniversary of a deadly white nationalist rally in Charlottesville, Virginia, alarming activists who plan to rally against the hatred that shocked the nation.

    More >>
  • New Mexico compound littered with ammunition, dirty diapers

    New Mexico compound littered with ammunition, dirty diapers

    Friday, August 10 2018 2:31 AM EDT2018-08-10 06:31:22 GMT
    Saturday, August 11 2018 10:15 AM EDT2018-08-11 14:15:29 GMT
    (AP Photo/Mary Altaffer). Imam Siraj Wahhaj speaks to reporters, Thursday, Aug. 9, 2018, in New York. Wahhaj, the grandfather of a missing Georgia boy,  says the remains of the child were found buried at a desert compound in New Mexico. Abdul-ghani Wah...(AP Photo/Mary Altaffer). Imam Siraj Wahhaj speaks to reporters, Thursday, Aug. 9, 2018, in New York. Wahhaj, the grandfather of a missing Georgia boy, says the remains of the child were found buried at a desert compound in New Mexico. Abdul-ghani Wah...

    A well-known imam whose three children were among the five adults arrested during a raid on a New Mexico compound says he doesn't understand why his son and the others disappeared into the desert.

    More >>

    A well-known imam whose three children were among the five adults arrested during a raid on a New Mexico compound says he doesn't understand why his son and the others disappeared into the desert.

    More >>
  • Jury awards $289M to man who blames Roundup for cancer

    Jury awards $289M to man who blames Roundup for cancer

    Saturday, August 11 2018 2:10 AM EDT2018-08-11 06:10:04 GMT
    Saturday, August 11 2018 10:15 AM EDT2018-08-11 14:15:08 GMT
    (Josh Edelson/Pool Photo via AP, File). FILE - In this July, 9, 2018, file photo, plaintiff DeWayne Johnson looks up during a brief break as the Monsanto trial in San Francisco. Monsanto is being accused of hiding the dangers of its popular Roundup pro...(Josh Edelson/Pool Photo via AP, File). FILE - In this July, 9, 2018, file photo, plaintiff DeWayne Johnson looks up during a brief break as the Monsanto trial in San Francisco. Monsanto is being accused of hiding the dangers of its popular Roundup pro...

    Lawyers say a jury's $289 million award to a California man who claims Monsanto's Roundup weed killer gave him cancer may open the floodgates for legions of people suffering because of the agribusiness giant.

    More >>

    Lawyers say a jury's $289 million award to a California man who claims Monsanto's Roundup weed killer gave him cancer may open the floodgates for legions of people suffering because of the agribusiness giant.

    More >>
Powered by Frankly