Homeowner, dog rescued from Lexington house fire

A homeowner and a dog were rescued by first responders who quelled a house fire Monday night in Lexington, county officials say. (Source: County of Lexington)
A homeowner and a dog were rescued by first responders who quelled a house fire Monday night in Lexington, county officials say. (Source: County of Lexington)

LEXINGTON, SC (WIS) - A homeowner and a dog were rescued by first responders who quelled a house fire Monday night in Lexington, county officials say.

The fire happened in the 200 block of Colony Lakes Drive and first responders arrived at the scene just before 10 p.m. The resident was trapped inside the home when fire crews arrived.

Lexington County firefighters entered the home and located the physically disabled resident in a rear bedroom. As the firefighters carried the occupant out of the home, they also located and rescued the homeowner's dog.

Firefighters provided immediate medical care to the patient, before transferring medical care to Lexington County EMS. The resident had minor injuries and was taken to a local hospital after an examination by EMS. The patient's current condition is unknown at this time.

The fire, which was located in the kitchen area of the home, was under control 15 minutes after the arrival of the first crew on scene. Officials are working to determine the exact cause of the fire.

Fire officials estimated that the fire caused $18,000 in damages to the home. The American Red Cross was called in to assist the homeowner.

Copyright 2018 WIS. All rights reserved.