Recall for 'overheating, melting, exploding' Xtava hair dryers

Recall for 'overheating, melting, exploding' Xtava hair dryers
The recall announcement said there have been 193 reports of the dryers malfunctioning.

(RNN) – A recall has been issued for a brand of hair dryer that has been overheating and catching fire.

The Consumer Product Safety Commission issued the recall for hair dryers produced by the company Xtava under the brand names Allure and Allure Pro.

The dryers have been available online at websites such as Aamazon's and Walmart's, selling for between $15 and $60, according to the CPSC. They are black or white and come with an attachable nozzle.

They are most obviously identified by the "xtava" logo imprinted on the blower end of the hair dryer. Product serial numbers affected by the recall include: XTV010001, XTV010001N, XTV010002, and XTV010002N.

The recall announcement said there have been 193 reports of the dryers, or their power cords, "overheating, melting, exploding, or catching fire" and that 18 people have been burned.

Four of the burns resulted in a blister, and one person reported a severe burn, according to the CPSC.

According to the agency, "Consumers should immediately stop using the hair dryers and contact Xtava to receive a free replacement dryer."

People can call Xtava at 877-643-8440 from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m., Monday through Friday, or visit recall-xtava-allure.expertinquiry.com for more information.

Copyright 2018 Raycom News Network. All rights reserved.