Veterans '1,000 Mile Walk of America' arrives in SC
(WIS) - Six wounded veterans from the US and UK will arrive in South Carolina as part of their 1,000-mile walk across the U.S.
The walk is to raise awareness of mental health among veterans and raise funds to support British and American wounded veterans.
The South Carolina leg of the expedition includes a stop at the Citadel in Charleston, stepping aboard the USS Yorktown and a visit to Fort Jackson. Walkers will also meet with trainee service personnel at the McCrady Training Center in Eastover during their time in SC.
Walking With The Wounded's Walk Of America, the 12-week walk of over 1,000 miles, started in Los Angeles on June 2 and will end in NYC on September 6.
With Prince Harry and Dr. Jill Biden as the U.K. and US Patrons, the Walk Of America expedition brings together three US and three UK wounded veterans. Having all struggled with their mental health post-military service, they are all eager to share their personal journeys from injury to the present day and strike up a wider conversation around military mental health.
For more information on the walk and how to donate, visit www.walkofamerica.com.
The public is invited to come out, meet the team, take photos and donate to support the team's incredible mission.
Find the group's itinerary here:
Monday, August 13
- Start Time: 8 a.m.
- Start Location: The Citadel, 171 Moultrie St, Charleston, SC 29409, USA
- Finish Time: 3 p.m.- 3.30 p.m.
- Finish Location: USS Yorktown, 40 Patriots Point Rd, Mt Pleasant, SC 29464
Tuesday, August 14
- Start Time: 8 a.m.
- Start Location: US Army Installation, Fort Jackson, Columbia (exacted location TBA)
- Finish Time: Approx. 3.30 p.m.- 4 p.m.
- Finish Location: McCrady Training Center, 5411 Leesburg Rd, Eastover, SC 29044
The walkers will finish their second day in South Carolina with a visit to the McCrady Training Center, where they will also meet with the next generation of military personnel.
Wednesday, August 15
- Start and Finish Times: TBD
- Start and Finish Locations: TBD
- The walkers’ route for their final day in South Carolina is yet to be confirmed.
WIS will update this schedule.
Copyright 2018 WIS. All rights reserved.