COLUMBIA, SC (WIS) - Lee Correctional Institution in Bishopville has dealt with at least 10 inmate deaths since August 2017 with the bulk coming just Sunday night after seven inmates were killed in an "inmate on inmate" altercation.
South Carolina Department of Corrections officials said Monday morning they are continuing to investigate what they called a "mass casualty incident" at the level three prison that houses some of the state's most violent inmates.
Details remain limited in connection with that case.
MORE ON THE DEADLY SC PRISON RIOT:
- Lee Correctional prison riot: Seven inmates killed in incident identified in 'mass casualty incident'
- 'Territory, contraband, cell phones' behind SC prison 'mass casualty incident' that left 7 dead
- Who are the seven inmates killed at Lee Correctional Institution?
- 10 inmates dead in 9 months: What's going on at Lee Correctional Institution?
- Residents of sleepy Bishopville respond after seven killed at Lee Correctional
- Inmate describes chaos at Lee Correctional as bodies piled up outside
- This inmate believes he knows why riots happen at Lee Correctional
Here's a look back at recent incidents at Lee Correctional:
- April 15, 2018: Seven inmates were killed and 17 more were injured following an incident. DOC identified the men as Raymond Angelo Scott, Michael Milledge, Damonte Marquez Rivera, Eddie Casey Jay Gaskins, Joshua Svwin Jenkins, Corey Scott, and Cornelius Quantral McClary.
- March 23, 2018: Inmates overpowered a corrections officer and took control of one side of a dorm at the prison and held the officer hostage for roughly an hour and a half.
- Feb. 22, 2018: Inmate Robert Odell Brown was found dead following a fight between inmates. Prison records show Brown was 33-years-old and he had been at Lee Correctional since May 2012. He was arrested in 2012 in Virginia after an Upstate deputy was shot in the face in January of that year.
- Nov. 13, 2017: Inmate Larry Rainey was found dead following a stabbing incident.
- Aug. 8, 2017: Inmate Herbert Causey was stabbed in the arm and bled to death inside the prison.
DOC continues to investigate the Sunday night incident.