Lee Correctional prison riot: Seven inmates killed in incident identified in 'mass casualty incident'
LEE COUNTY, SC (WIS) - Seven inmates were killed and another 17 were treated following multiple "inmate on inmate altercations" Sunday night at Lee Correctional Institution.
The state Department of Corrections also identified the inmates as Raymond Angelo Scott, Michael Milledge, Damonte Marquez Rivera, Eddie Casey Jay Gaskins, Joshua Svwin Jenkins, Corey Scott, and Cornelius Quantral McClary.
According to DOC, multiple crews responded to an incident at the prison Sunday night.
According to SCDC, the prison was secured at 2:55 a.m. following the incident which started at 7:15 p.m. The incident happened across three housing units, SCDC says.
Lee County Sheriff's Office also responded to the incident.
MORE ON THE DEADLY SC PRISON RIOT:
- Lee Correctional prison riot: Seven inmates killed in incident identified in 'mass casualty incident'
- 'Territory, contraband, cell phones' behind SC prison 'mass casualty incident' that left 7 dead
- Who are the seven inmates killed at Lee Correctional Institution?
- 10 inmates dead in 9 months: What's going on at Lee Correctional Institution?
- Residents of sleepy Bishopville respond after seven killed at Lee Correctional
- Inmate describes chaos at Lee Correctional as bodies piled up outside
- This inmate believes he knows why riots happen at Lee Correctional
All SCDC staff and responding law enforcement officers are safe and accounted for. SCDC Police Services and the South Carolina Law Enforcement Division are investigating.
As of April 16 at midnight, the SCDC website accounts for 1,266 inmates at Lee Correctional Institution. The prison capacity is 1,272 according to the SCDC website. The prison, which opened in 1993, is a level 3 facility in Bishopville, SC.
Lee Correctional Institution has had inmate issues in the past.
Back on March 23, several inmates overpowered a corrections officer, held him hostage, and took control of a dorm for over an hour. No inmates were injured.
Several inmates at the facility have been killed over the last several months. In February 2018, Robert Odell Brown was killed following a fight between inmates. In November 2017, Larry Rainey was found dead due to several stab wounds. In August 2017, Herbert Causey was found unresponsive with a stab wound to his arm. The Lee County Coroner's Office said he bled to death.
A former corrections officer was also almost killed after he says an inmate at Lee Correctional placed a hit on him using a contraband cellphone.
Copyright 2018 WIS. All rights reserved.