5 people displaced after condo fire

5 people displaced after condo fire
(Source: Columbia Fire Department)
(Source: Columbia Fire Department)

COLUMBIA, SC (WIS) - Five people were displaced from their home Sunday afternoon due to a fire.

Columbia firefighters responded to a fire at the Brickyard condominiums in the 4000 block of Bethel Church Road at about 1 p.m.

Firefighters say the cause of the fire was a stove fire that happened while someone was cooking with grease.

"If you're cooking make sure that you are paying attention to what you're doing," said Columbia Fire Chief Aubrey Jenkins. "Do not walk away from it and particularly when you're using grease or flammable liquid. Do not walk away from it anything that happens. Residence structures are the number one cause of fire so this is the number one cause of fires in structures."

There were no injuries reported. The condo that caught fire is was destroyed.

The American Red Cross is helping the two adults and three kids displaced by the fire.

Copyright 2017 WIS. All rights reserved.