Family credits dog for saving them from Thanksgiving fire

Published: Nov. 28, 2016 at 1:20 AM EST|Updated: Nov. 28, 2016 at 6:17 AM EST
Email This Link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn

LEXINGTON, SC (WIS) - For one Lexington County family, Thanksgiving was truly a time to be thankful.

The Lane family's home on Spring Tyme Lane burned down but they were fortunate to all make it out unharmed - and they credit one very special family member.

The family lost just about everything when their house caught fire on Thanksgiving night. They were able to save a few items, however, and they say it's all because of their dog.

Neily Lane and her family woke up about 2 a.m. on Thursday to their dog barking crazily in their home.

"We debated on who was going to go down and check on her," Lane said.

It was a wake-up call the family never imagined: their home was going up in flames.

"I ran downstairs and before I got to see her, I saw through the kitchen window orange, just a ball of orange glowing," Lane said.

She said that's when she grabbed her family and ran to safety. Now she is calling Jojo the dog her hero.

"I really believe she did save our life because with the fire starting outside, the smoke detectors would not have gone off until it was too late," Lane said.

The house was a total loss. The family returned to the house to see what was left and to try and save anything they can.

"Just about everything is ruined," Lane explained.

The family is staying with relatives for now and hoping to someday rebuild.

Lane said her daughter was able to save her phone and her son was able to save two USC basketball tickets against Clemson in a dresser that were hidden as a surprise to his girlfriend.

The surprise was ruined, unfortunately, when he thought the tickets were burned. Instead he ended up going to the Clemson USC football game Saturday night.

Copyright 2016 WIS. All rights reserved.