One still at-large after business owner shoots at robbery suspects

Published: Jun. 10, 2016 at 3:02 PM EDT|Updated: Jun. 11, 2016 at 5:33 PM EDT
Email This Link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn

COLUMBIA, SC (WIS) - A would-be robbery suspect was wounded in a shooting Friday morning, and the Richland County Sheriff's Department says a business owner fired the shots.

The sheriff's department says 22-year-old Taveon Vogt has been arrested and charged with multiple charges such as attempted murder, kidnapping, armed robbery, and possession of firearm during the commission of a violent crime.

Deputies say Vogt and two others attempted to rob Gamerz on Broad River Road just around 10 a.m. Friday.

RELATED: See other people arrested in the Midlands this month.

However, investigators say, the owner known as "Mr. Jamie" pulled out a weapon and opened fire on Vogt, wounding him in the upper and lower body. However, officials say, that did not stop him from returning fire with the owner, who was not hit.

"We have a construction company doing some construction over here, so I thought they were like digging something in the ground," said Geno Furarra, an employee at a nearby business. "But then when it became so intense, like boom, boom, boom. Then I realized it's gunshots. So I went outside and seen like two guys picking up the money, and Mr. Jamie was coming outside and telling them like pick up the money and let's get inside until the police come."

The three suspects fled the scene, officials say, but an astute homeowner nearby contacted the sheriff's department and led them to the area.

The wounded suspect, Vogt, was taken to a nearby hospital, where he is listed in stable condition. As for the other two suspected, one of them was arrested immediately but deputies say he was released after it was determined he had no connection to the crime. The other suspect remains at-large.

"At this time being that the owner was the shooter we just want to make sure that it was justifiable, of course," Sgt. Brittany Scott said. "We also want to make sure that the witnesses inside will be able to provide some statements for us on what they saw. We'll be doing some further investigation, trying to look at some video surveillance to see what we can determine."

Vogt continues to recover from his wounds in the hospital. Once he is released from the hospital he will be transported to Alvin S. Glenn Detention Center.

The sheriff's department continues to investigate.


Copyright 2016 WIS. All rights reserved.