Holiday items can become health hazards to pets

Published: Dec. 2, 2015 at 1:17 AM EST|Updated: Dec. 12, 2015 at 1:33 AM EST
Email This Link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn

COLUMBIA, SC (WIS) - Attention pet lovers: There are hidden holiday hazards that can wreak havoc on the health of our animals.

Dr. Wendy King of Spears Creek Veterinary Clinic says dogs and kittens can get hurt, sick or even be killed by some of our Christmas décor. 
Poinsettias and mistletoe are toxic to dogs. Puppies are especially vulnerable since they like to chew on things. And it's imperative your pets not get into the Christmas tinsel. 
The electrical cords going to Christmas trees are often chewed on by pups, so hiding the cords under a mat will secure them from your curious pet. The ornaments on the bottom third should not be the breakable kinds since dogs and cats can knock them off, break them and then eat them. Plus, the hooks can be very dangerous if your pet ingests one.
The liquid in the bottom of a live tree stand can be toxic. Guard against your pet making that a water bowl source.

It's also wise to tie your tree from the top to the ceiling so your cat doesn't knock over the tree if he decides to make the tree his playground. 

Taking precautions with your Christmas décor can help make sure the holiday is merry for you and your fur babies.
Copyright 2015 WIS. All rights reserved.