Advertisement

Community mourns mother, child who died from carbon monoxide poisoning

Published: Feb. 21, 2015 at 11:05 PM EST|Updated: Oct. 20, 2017 at 4:10 PM EDT
Email This Link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn

ORANGEBURG, SC (WIS) - Mourners packed into St. Paul Baptist Church in Orangeburg Saturday morning to pay final respects to a mother and her five year old child.

Twenty-seven-year-old Crystal Thomas and her son Elijah Gaffney were found dead inside their home last Saturday.

Authorities say both died from carbon monoxide poisoning.

Today those who knew both victims looked back on their lives and the time they spent together. Those who knew Crystal Thomas and her son say the two were simply inseparable. Thomas was a hard worker doing what she could to support her family and Gaffney was a child who friends say had a lot of personality and loved to bring his light to everyone.

Some not only looking to pay final respects but also looking for answers.

"She means everything to me and I really miss her," Thomas' Cherrell Kennerly said.

Last Saturday both Thomas and her son were found dead inside their Jamison Avenue home, victims of carbon monoxide poisoning, which investigators concluded came from a heating source.

To friends Thomas was the workhorse of the family.

She worked as a housekeeper at South Carolina State's University Village to support her and her son.

Those closest to the family say even at the age of five, Gaffney life had purpose, bringing joy to anyone he came in contact with.

Investigators with the Orangeburg County Sheriff's Office say the home did not have a carbon monoxide detectors. They the incident is a firm reminder that every home should have one.

Copyright 2015 WIS. All rights reserved.