Missing Columbia attorney found dead; foul play not suspected

Published: Feb. 3, 2015 at 2:54 AM EST|Updated: Feb. 13, 2015 at 3:00 AM EST
Email This Link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn
William Beau Busch (Source: Chappell, Smith & Arden Attorneys at Law)
William Beau Busch (Source: Chappell, Smith & Arden Attorneys at Law)

COLUMBIA, SC (WIS) - A Columbia attorney who was found dead two days after his disappearance is being remembered as an advocate for injured workers.

William Beau Busch, 41, disappeared on Sunday. The Columbia Police Department issued an alert late Monday night asking for the public's help to find him.

Late Tuesday afternoon, CPD investigators found Busch dead. Police did not release any other details about the discovery of Busch's body.

Busch's law firm, Chappell, Smith & Arden, released a statement Wednesday stating he was, "a beacon of hope to injured workers and was always committed to protecting their rights."

“We will think of Beau every day and remember how much he loved the law and his clients," founding partner Mark Chappell said. "We lost a brother. It is our honor to carry on his legacy."

Busch, who is the son of Elloree Mayor Stan Busch, is a 1996 graduate of The Citadel and a 2002 graduate of the University of South Carolina School of Law, according to the firm.

Columbia Police Department spokeswoman Jennifer Timmons said the last time Busch was seen alive was when a friend dropped him off at his South Holly Street residence on Sunday around 12:40 a.m.

Family and friends became increasingly concerned for Busch after he did not show up for an appointment in Greenville and when they learned he may not have had his medications with him, Timmons said.

Timmons said Tuesday foul play is not suspected.

Richland County Coroner Gary Watts said that an autopsy performed on Wednesday showed no signs of trauma. "We are awaiting final results that will include the results of microscopic and toxicology testing," Watts said.

Copyright 2015 WIS. All rights reserved.