Sheriff: 21 motorcycles stolen since June
COLUMBIA, SC (WIS) - Sheriff Leon Lott said Wednesday 21 motorcycles have been reported missing or stolen since June.
Lott said that 11 of those were stolen from apartment complexes.
Lott said that residents have to remain vigilant in neighborhoods and report any suspicious activity.
Every year an increase in motorcycle thefts are reported during the summer.
Often motorcycle thefts occur at apartment complexes or shopping centers where bikes are left unsecured in the parking lot, and often poorly lit areas.
Here are a few tips for securing your motorcycle:
• Place alarms on Motorcycles
• A good lock and chain, and brake disc lock
• Immobilisers (electronic security device that prevents the engine from running) approved by your insurance company.
• Paging alarm that alerts you by SMS when your bike is tampered with
• Install a GPS tracking system
• Mark parts of your motorcycle with your vehicle identification number and vehicle registration. As few bikes find their way back to the victims as the origin cannot be traced. By marking your parts, it will make it more difficult to sell the parts.
• If you have a garage, be sure to use it.
• Park your bike where it can be seen by passers by day or night and in well lighted areas.
Copyright 2014 WIS. All rights reserved.