Vick drops congressional bid after DUI arrest

Published: May. 24, 2012 at 4:57 PM EDT|Updated: Jun. 3, 2012 at 4:57 PM EDT
Email This Link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn
State Rep. Ted Vick (Source: Alvin S. Glenn Detention Center)
State Rep. Ted Vick (Source: Alvin S. Glenn Detention Center)
A photo of Ted Vick and his family. (Source:
A photo of Ted Vick and his family. (Source:

COLUMBIA, SC (WIS/AP) - A state representative has decided to drop his bid for the new 7th Congressional District seat after he was arrested for DUI Wednesday night in Columbia.

In a statement, Vick said after spending time with his family and his pastor, he's decided to end his campaign and "humbly seek re-election to the state House in November."

Vick, 39, said he believes the legal system will clear a lot of what happened up, but admits mistakes.

"While I have full confidence that the legal system will clear much of this up, it will not change the fact that I made some serious mistakes that I alone am responsible for," wrote Vick. "I realize that I have caused pain to those who love and support me and it's my responsibility to make this right.

A police report said Rep. Ted Vick had a female USC student in his car and a .380 caliber gun in his pocket when he taken into custody after 1:00 a.m..

Vick was charged with speeding, DUI and unlawful carrying of a gun early Wednesday morning after he was stopped on Devine St. and refused a breathalyzer test.

Vick issued a statement late Thursday, saying: "I very much regret any embarrassment I've caused for my family, friends and supporters. My family comes first to me and I'm going to spend time with them and consult with my pastor. Politics will have to wait."

A CPD report states Vick was clocked at 44 mph in a 30 mph zone around 1:00 a.m. The reporting officer said the lawmaker's eyes were glazed over and he smelled of alcohol when he approached the car.

When asked if he'd been drinking, Vick told the officer that he "only had a few drinks," according to the report.

Officers placed Vick in handcuffs after he seemed to be "unsteady on his feet" while standing outside his car.

Police said Vick had a female USC student in his car at the time of the arrest. The report indicates Vick and the 21-year-old met at Delaney's Pub and then had drinks at Jake's Bar before he offered to give her a ride to her home on Bluff Rd.

Vick was arrested after refusing to take part in a field sobriety test or give officers a breath sample.

Vick was transported to the Alvin S. Glenn Detention Center where officers found a Kel-Tec .380 semi-automatic pistol in his pocket, according to the report. Officers said Vick had failed to tell them about the gun. Vick's concealed weapons permit expired in 2007.

Vick bonded out of jail Thursday afternoon on a $5,000 PR bond.

He is currently seeking a fifth term in to his state House seat from Chesterfield County.

According to his web site, Vick is married to his high school sweetheart and has twin 8-year-old daughters.

Vick, a businessman and lieutenant colonel in the South Carolina Army National Guard, is seeking a fifth term to his Chesterfield County South Carolina House seat.

The Democrat says if re-elected he will "continue to work across party aisles to seek consensus and progress."

Copyright 2012 WIS. All rights reserved.