Needed supplies for hurricane disaster supply kit
COLUMBIA, S.C. (WIS) - June marks the start of Hurricane season, running from June 1 - November 30. The South Carolina Emergency Management Division has prepared a list every household should have in case they are hit by a hurricane.
Officials say a basic hurricane disaster supply kit should contain at least three days of supplies for everyone in your family. They add when preparing for a hurricane, put supplies in a water-tight container you can take with you when you evacuate.
Here are the necessary items you need for your disaster kit:
- Water, two gallons of water per person per day for at least three days, for drinking and sanitation
- Food, at least a three-day supply of non-perishable food.
- Battery-powered or hand crank radio and an NOAA Weather Radio with tone alert and extra batteries for both
- Flashlight and extra batteries
- First aid kit
- Whistle to signal for help
- Moist towelettes, garbage bags, and plastic ties for personal sanitation
- Wrench or pliers to turn off utilities
- Manual can opener for food (if kit contains canned food)
- Local maps
- Cell phone with chargers
- Prescription medications and glasses
- Infant formula and diapers
- Pet food and extra water for your pet
- Important family documents such as copies of insurance policies, identification, and bank account records in a waterproof, portable container
- Family emergency contact information
- Cash or traveler’s checks and change
Additional items to consider include:
- Sleeping bag or warm blanket for each person. Consider additional bedding if you live in a cold-weather climate.
- Complete change of clothing including a long-sleeved shirt, long pants and sturdy shoes. Consider additional clothing if you live in a cold-weather climate.
- Fire extinguisher
- Multipurpose tool
- Matches in a waterproof container
- Duct tape
- Dust mask to help filter contaminated air
- Feminine supplies and personal hygiene items
- Mess kits, paper cups, plates and plastic utensils, paper towels
- Paper and pencil
- Books, games, puzzles or other activities for children
For more information, visit the South Carolina hurricane guide page.
Notice a spelling or grammar error in this article? Click or tap here to report it. Please include the article's headline.
Copyright 2023 WIS. All rights reserved.