Martin Luther King Jr. Weekend events happening in the Midlands
COLUMBIA, S.C. (WIS) - Martin Luther King Jr. Day is Monday, and there are several events throughout the Midlands to honor the civil rights legend.
Saturday, January 14
- USC Day of Service, 8:30 a.m. - 9:30 a.m.: Join the Leadership and Service Center on January 14th for the annual MLK Day of Service! Hear from a guest speaker on the importance of the day before meeting others and getting the opportunity to serve the local area at an on-campus or community partner site. This special day of service begins at 8:30 a.m. on Davis Field and hot beverages will be served. Once volunteers return to campus between 11:30 a.m. and noon, boxed lunches will be available for pick up in the Leadership and Service Center.
- MLK 5K Run & Fitness Walk, 8:00 a.m. - The Alpha Phi Alpha Fraternity Inc. Omicron Iota Lambda Chapter presents the MLK 5K run & fitness walk. The walk/run starts at 8:00 a.m. at the Martin Luther King Jr. park on 2300 Green Street. You can register here.
- MLK Unity Celebration, 11:00 a.m. - The Concerned Citizens of Kershaw County, in partnership with the City of Camden, Unity in the Community, and the Camden-Kershaw County Branch of the NAACP, will hold the second annual MLK Unity Celebration on Saturday, January 14.
Sunday, January 15
- MLK Martinis & Manifestation Mixer, 4:00 p.m. - 8:00 p.m. - Manifest your purpose while drinking martinis and mixing at 556 Bridge Street Saint Matthews.
- 4th annual House Music and Culture Day South Carolina, 10:00 a.m. - 10:30 p.m. - Free Community Event Celebrating House Music History, Culture, Dance And The Power Of Healing Through The Music at the Red Rooster Bar and Grill, 7500 Wilson Boulevard.
Monday, January 16
Martin Luther King Jr. Day at the Columbia Museum of Art, 10:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.: In honor of Martin Luther King Jr. Day, the CMA is open with free admission courtesy of Love, Tito’s. Don’t miss FAAAC presents A Storytelling Celebration, an event celebrating the life of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. as well as the exhibition The Art of Elizabeth Catlett: From the Collection of Samella Lewis, with CMA affinity group the Friends of African American Art and Culture from 1:30 to 2:30 p.m. Free.
35th annual MLK celebration, 4:00 p.m. - Gamecock great and former NBA player Alex English will speak about continuing the dream of Martin Luther King Jr.
Notice a spelling or grammar error in this article? Click or tap here to report it. Please include the article's headline.
Copyright 2023 WIS. All rights reserved.