Staff injured at DJJ, SLED deployed
COLUMBIA, S.C. (WIS) - The South Carolina Law Enforcement Division (SLED) was called to help at the Department of Juvenile Justice on Broad River Rd.
Officials said an incident was underway and multiple agencies responded. A spokesperson for the DJJ confirmed one staff member had been injured in the incident. They were taken to an area hospital for treatment.
Sources reported a group of juveniles were armed with weapons that included hammers in the facility. Officials said a fight started in the workshop and an instructor was injured. No escapes from the facility were reported.
A helicopter was at the site and law enforcement in body armor was seen entering the building Tuesday morning.
The DJJ has been the center of multiple incidents covered by WIS in the last year. These have included juveniles climbing over razor wire, a group attack that sent a teenager to a hospital, and a civil rights investigation involving the Department of Justice.
- DOJ settles DJJ civil rights investigation into Broad River Road Complex for juveniles
- DJJ investigative incident reports include allegations June “mob” violence was “set up” by staff
- Juveniles at DJJ break into building, climb over razor wire to roof
- After walk-out, DJJ touting improvement efforts while some see worse situation
- Plans moving forward for new mental health facility for DJJ youth
This is a developing story and will be updated as we learn more.
Notice a spelling or grammar error in this article? Click or tap here to report it. Please include the article’s headline.
Copyright 2022 WIS. All rights reserved.