FIRST ALERT: Wintry Mix today with some snow showers possible tonight
COLUMBIA, S.C. (WIS) - We’re tracking a wintry mix in the Midlands Friday into early Saturday morning.
First Alert Weather Headlines:
· Heads up! Today and Saturday are Alert Days.
· A Winter Weather Advisory is in effect for the Midlands Friday through Saturday morning.
· A system will likely bring a wintry mix to the Midlands Friday into early Saturday morning.
· We have a 60% chance of a wintry mix of sleet and freezing rain and some snow in your forecast for Friday, but this will mainly be a freezing rain event that will likely produce ice. Some wet snowflakes could mix in late Friday night into early Saturday for parts of the Midlands However, this is not a classic snow setup for the Midlands.
· High temperatures will be in the 30s today, then in the 40s Saturday.
· Sunday brings more sunshine to the Midlands and highs in the 40s and lower 50s.
· More sunshine is expected Monday with showers on Tuesday.
First Alert Weather Story:
FIRST ALERT days for today and Saturday morning!
Today we have sleet, freezing rain, rain, and snow! This morning expect cloudy skies and some drizzle and showers with temps in the mid 30s. By this afternoon temperatures cool off and we have a better chance of sleet, and freezing rain (60% chance) as temps dip close to freezing. Freezing rain could stick to untreated roadways and trees which could cause power outages.
This system is complex, making it much harder to forecast. A small low moves along a stationary boundary to our east. The low provides the moisture, while high pressure in NY brings cold air from the northeast. Winds will be breezy with gusts up to 25mph.
As far as accumulations go, expect less than a tenth of an inch of ice. The highest totals will be to our east around the I-95 corridor with around 0.1-0.25″ there. Snow wise, we have a chance of a half inch to an inch as it transitions to snow around 8-10pm tonight in Columbia. The snow lasts until 2am and skies clear up and temperatures cool dramatically down into the low to mid 20s.
This cold air will freeze any wet surfaces making travel treacherous for Saturday morning. A FIRST ALERT is issued for that very reason! Travel is not advised this afternoon into Saturday morning.
By the afternoon Saturday expect sunny skies and highs in the low 40s. Overnight we are cold again, with lows in the low 20s.
Sunday we have highs reaching 50 with sunny skies as high pressure builds back into the region.
Monday is dry as well with upper 20s for lows and highs reaching the mid 50s.
Tuesday a low comes in from the south and brings a 50% chance of rain showers.
Alert Day Today: Cloudy. Wintry Mix Possible (60%). Freezing Rain and Ice Likely. Some snow could mix in late. Highs in the mid 30s.
Alert Day Saturday: Partly Cloudy. Early AM Flurries Possible (20%). Slippery Roads. Cold. Highs in the lower 40s.
Sunday: Partly Cloudy and Chilly. High temperatures in the upper 40s to near 50.
Monday: Mostly Sunny and Chilly. Highs in the mid 50s.
Tuesday: Partly Cloudy and Chilly. A Few Showers (30%). Highs in the low 50s.
Wednesday: Partly Cloudy and Chilly. Highs near 50.
Thursday: Mostly Sunny and Chilly. Highs in the mid 40s.
Copyright 2022 WIS. All rights reserved.
Notice a spelling or grammar error in this article? Click or tap here to report it. Please include the article’s headline.