NORTH MYRTLE BEACH, S.C. (WMBF) – A fund has been established to help the family of a North Myrtle Beach officer who died in a New Year’s Day traffic crash.
The fund for the family of Sgt. Gordon William Best was started Saturday by the organization Fund the First, with a goal of raising $25,000.
As of 2 p.m. on Jan. 2, $485 has been raised. To donate, click here.
Best was responding to a call in Barefoot Resort around 4 a.m. on Jan. 1 when he lost control of his vehicle on the wet roadway, city of North Myrtle Beach spokesperson Pat Dowling previously said.
The 30-year-old officer was heading southbound on Highway 17 when he veered into the northbound lanes and collided with a utility pole, according to officials. He was pronounced dead at the scene.
On Saturday, a memorial to Best continued to grow at the North Myrtle Beach Department of Public Safety.
A note placed on the windshield of a North Myrtle Beach police cruiser said, “Everyone on the Grand Strand is grateful for your service. May you rest in the arms of the angels. Prayers, hugs to healing to your family.”
45th Avenue Deli owner Ashley Bowen says Best and other officers frequent her business. Bowen stopped by the police department on Saturday to bring the officers on duty lunch for the day.
“They come in and we love having them there, they enjoy lunch. They have their own special table. We have pictures of him,” Bowen said.
Bowen added a photo of Best to the sign outside her Highway 17 restaurant.
Best is survived by his parents, his wife, Taylor, and two young children.
City spokesperson Pat Dowling said Saturday officials are still working on plans for a funeral and any public memorial that could take place.
Staff at Ocean Lakes Campground paid tribute to Best on Saturday with a Facebook post.
“This tragedy hits close to home as Sgt. Best was the husband of a Teammate. Our thoughts and prayers are with his family during this difficult time,” the post stated, accompanied by a picture of a blue ribbon adorned at the campground’s entrance.