COLUMBIA, S.C. (WIS) - WIS News 10 hosted its second Back-to-School Digital Town Hall with health and education experts.
News anchors Judi Gatson and Dawndy Mercer Plank moderated the discussion, which focused on how schools can reopen safely for students, teachers and staff.
Dr. Linda Bell, State Epidemiologist with the Department of Health and Environmental Control, participated in the panel.
Other panelists included:
- Anna-Kathryn Burch, MD - Pediatric Infectious Disease Doctor at Prisma Health-Midlands
- Sherry East - South Carolina Education Association
- Patrick Kelly - Palmetto State Teachers Association
- Nicole Walker - SCforEd board member and public school teacher of 22 years
- Reggie Wicker - SC Alliance of Black School Educators
WIS is compiling the reopening plans of all Midlands school districts, click or tap here to see those plans.
Note that those plans are not finalized until the Department of Education approves them. As of Wednesday, DOE has not approved any plans.
State Superintendent Molly Spearman said she and her team will approve plans soon after closely examining safety measures.
While Spearman did not participate in the town hall discussion, she did grant WIS an exclusive one-on-one interview Wednesday.
Watch that in full here: