FOLLY BEACH, S.C. (WCSC) - Following an emergency session Saturday, Folly Beach City Council has decided to reinstate a checkpoint limiting access to Folly Beach and suspending short term rentals starting Sunday.
This comes after city officials lifted the restrictions Friday pending further direction from Governor Henry McMaster.
One visitor with Folly Beach says that even though people are going to the beach, social distancing is still being practiced.
“I saw a couple people get up and move when people got too close to them so people are keeping their distance,” Eric Banner said. “That was the only closure that really upset me was the beach”
Protesters were seen on Folly Beach Saturday morning after officials lifted restrictions and checkpoints on the island Friday night.
Protesters were seen holding signs asking residents to stay at home and to close Folly Beach again amid the COVID-19 pandemic.
There has said to be a steady stream of traffic headed on the island as of Saturday morning.
“There’s a lot of people. You can see by the traffic going by that it’s like a regular summer day.” Mayor Tim Goodwin said.
Earlier on Friday, Attorney General Alan Wilson released an opinion stating that only the governor can order stay-at-home ordinances, and local governments could face legal action if they enact and enforce those orders.
City officials said authorities on the island will work to disperse crowds.
This is a developing story. Check back for updates.