Law enforcement says it ‘can’t comment’ on whether family of missing 6-year-old face polygraph tests
COLUMBIA, S.C. (WIS) - The Cayce Department of Public Safety said it will now hold daily press briefings to update the public about the status of the investigation and search into a missing child.
Faye Marie Swetlik, 6, was last seen around 3:45 on Monday afternoon. According to law enforcement, her family called 911 around 5 p.m. after they said they had been searching for her.
On Wednesday, authorities released surveillance video from inside Faye’s school bus, showing the moments the 6-year-old arrived at her bus stop, talked to the bus driver and got off the bus.
According to Sgt. Evan Antley with the Cayce Department of Public Safety, Faye’s family is cooperating with the investigation.
When asked if family members are being issued polygraph tests, Antley said he could not comment about that aspect of the investigation.
Officials have expanded their search into nearby wooded areas surrounding the Churchill Heights subdivision, however, the neighborhood of about 250 homes and a few dozen apartments remains the epicenter of the search. They’ve asked people who want to help with the search to stay out of the neighborhood. Instead, officials encourage those people to continue to share pictures of Faye on social media.
On Tuesday, the department said there was no evidence of an abduction. They said that explained the reason behind not seeking additional volunteers, even though they have not ruled out the possibility Faye wandered off.
Officials said it poses a liability to have members of the public searching properties and they want to minimize the possibility of any potential evidence being contaminated. Additionally, the department says “thorough ground searches require coordination with contact with incident command, are mapped and methodical and the terrain and environment in the area varies requiring special equipment and vehicles for safety.”
WIS reached out to the South Carolina Department of Social Services to find out if the department has had any prior interactions with the family. It said it is unable to release that kind of information.
- Search for missing 6-year-old Faye Swetlik still active, S.C. officials push back against rumors
- Officials: No evidence of abduction during investigation into missing 6-year-old from S.C.
- Neighbors shocked, terrified day after 6-year-old girl disappears
- ‘We’ve got to find her’: Faye Swetlik’s grandmother just wants her home
- Law enforcement close off neighborhood as search for 6-year-old Faye Swetlik continues
Copyright 2020 WIS. All rights reserved.