Use Energy Wisely
Let SCE&G help you take control of your energy bills. To get you started, we've compiled a variety of tips to help you be more energy efficient. You'll be surprised at how much you can save just by making a few changes in how you live and work.
1. Replace standard incandescent light bulbs with compact fluorescent bulbs (CFLs), which use up to 75% less energy.
2. Unplug appliances, lights, TVs, computers, etc. when not in use.
3. Set your thermostat at 68¢ªF or lower in the winter and 78¢ªF or higher in the summer. Each degree higher or lower can significantly increase your heating costs in winter and cooling costs in summer.
4. Programmable thermostats (when programmed properly) can allow you to conveniently maintain the comfort of your home when you're there and reduce energy costs when you're not. Buy a programmable thermostat specifically designed for your heating and cooling unit.
5. Check air filters monthly and change when dirty. Leave interior doors open and do not close vents to allow adequate air flow through your heating and cooling system.
6. Periodically check your ducts for leaks or tears. Repair fallen or crushed duct work and use mastic (a plastic like substance found at your local hardware store) to seal leaks.
7. Have your central heating and cooling system serviced annually by a professional. This can extend the life of the system while maintaining optimum efficiency.
8. Upgrade your attic insulation to a minimum of R-38 (12-14 inches), which can help save on heating and cooling costs.
9. Caulk, seal, and weather-strip around all seams, cracks and openings to protect against drafts. Pay special attention to windows and exterior doors.
10. Set your water heater at 120°F and periodically visually inspect the unit for leaks.
11. Call 1-877-510-SCEG or visit sceg.com/energywise to learn about our FREE Home Energy Check-up.
For more tips and other ways to save energy, visit sceg.com/energywise