Perspective: WIS editorial on utility bills

"Lady, do you know anyone who can help me?" That's what an elderly woman recently asked a WIS employee at an SCE&G office. The woman's power had been turned off. She said she lived on a fixed income and could not afford to pay her bill.

Sadly, that's a common occurrence. Last year, more than 30,000 people in our state got help from community action agencies. The money ran out for another 20,000. Of course, your household income determines if you are eligible for aid. But many people probably don't even know where to turn for help. We have some suggestions.

Community action agencies have funds to help people pay for heat and electricity. In the Midlands, you can call the Wateree Community Action Agency at 786-4250.

The Salvation Army's Woodyard Fund starts providing aid the second week of December. They're at 765-0260. The Governor's Office of Economic Opportunity also has money to help. Go to and search for "OEO".

And if you'd like to help those in need to stay warm this winter, you can donate to SCE&G's Project Share. Check your November bill for details. If you know of any other groups that can help people with utility bills, send me an email or a letter.

That's my perspective, what's yours?