218th soldiers stuck in Kuwait may be home this week

COLUMBIA, SC (WIS) - WIS News 10 was there when the first wave of 218th soldiers landed at Pope Air Force Base this month, but thousands more are still in the Middle East waiting for their own homecomings.
    
Hundreds of them are stuck in Kuwait because the airline that was scheduled to fly them home has filed for bankruptcy.

Monday we learned that some of those soldiers could be back in the US later this week.

The group of about 200 soldiers was set to fly back to the US via the Indianapolis-based ATA Airlines, but that company announced it was filing for bankruptcy last week.
    
Since then, the soldiers have been waiting for an alternative.

Monday a spokesperson with the South Carolina National Guard told us a chartered flight is scheduled to take those members of the 218th back to the US.
  
The group is scheduled to land at Fort Bragg later this week.
  
In addition, South Carolina Senator Lindsey Graham's office has been working to try and get the soldiers home.

A Graham spokesperson said, "We have spoken with the appropriate logistical authorities in the military, encouraging them to expedite the soldiers' return. We continue to speak with them and remain in close touch."

Count on WIS News 10 to keep you updated on any developments with the 218th.
    
Reported by David Stanton

Reported by Logan Smith