- Apply early. As soon as your purchase offer on a house is accepted...
- Shop around. Cost does matter, but shouldn't be your deciding factor. Also consider the stability of the insurance company, the quality and depth of the coverage, and the customer service offered.
- Maintain Good Credit.
- Bundle and Save. Buying home and auto from the same company can often grant you discounts that you wouldn't otherwise receive.
- Buy Adequate Coverage.
You need enough insurance to cover the following:
- The structure of your home.
- Your personal possessions.
- The cost of additional living expenses if your home is damaged and you have to live elsewhere during repairs.
- Your liability to others.
Ask your agent for guidance on how much coverage you need to be protected.