This type of sclerotherapy uses ultrasound technology to assist in visualization of larger diseased veins known as varicose veins. The doctor injects a solution into the vein that causes the vein walls to swell, stick together, and seal shut. This stops the flow of blood and the vein turns into scar tissue. In a few months, the vein should slowly be reabsorbed. The same vein may need to be treated more than once.
This treatment is very effective if done the right way. Most patients can expect a 50% to 90% improvement. Palmetto Vein & Aesthetic Center uses special solutions and injection techniques that increase the success rate for removal of varicose veins. This type of sclerotherapy does occassionally require local anesthesia like that in a dentist's office, and can be done in the doctor's office.
Possible side effects include:
- Temporary stinging or painful cramps where the injection was made
- Temporary red raised patches of skin where the injection was made
- Temporary small skin sores where the injection was made
- Temporary bruises where the injection was made
- Spots around the treated vein that usually disappear
- Brown lines around the treated vein that usually disappear
- Groups of fine red blood vessels around the treated vein that usually disappear