(Laser Assisted In-Situ Keratomileusis)Lasik
is a two-step surgical procedure, which essentially combines the long ago described technique called ALK (automated lamellar kertomileusis) with PRK to reshaping the surface of the cornea to correct refractive error and reduce or eliminate the need for glasses or contacts.
Lasik eye surgery is a highly safe and successful vision correction option for the right individual.The LASIK Procedure
- Anesthetic drops are applied to the eye.
- A protective flap is created and gently lifted by the surgeon, revealing the inner corneal tissue.
- Computer-controlled pulses of cool laser light are applied to the inner layers of your cornea. As the laser pulses, it makes a ticking sound. The inner corneal layer is reshaped with the laser to mimic your contact lens or glasses prescription.
- The surgeon gently replaces the flap and aligns it to its original position. It heals naturally and securely.
- Some patients may feel slight irritation for a few hours, but most are quite comfortable after a nap and rest.
If you are interested in finding out more about Lasik and if you are a candidate, please call our office to schedule a consultation.
For individuals that do not want to undergo eye surgery to correct their vision or wear eyeglasses or contacts during the day, this could be a very viable option.
It is a non-surgical process, which reshapes (flattens) the cornea of the eye using contact lenses, worn at night, to correct refractive error and eliminate the need for glasses or contacts during the daytime.
Click here to learn more about Ortho-K
If you are interested in finding out more about this option for vision correction, please call our office to schedule a consultation.