Plan your travel and check the latest weather reports to avoid the storm. Fully check your vehicle before the weather season begins.
Carry a survival kit:
- Mobile phone, charger, batteries
- Blankets/sleeping bags
- Flashlight with extra batteries
- First-aid kit
- High-calorie, non-perishable food
- Extra clothing to keep dry
- Large empty can to use as emergency toilet.
- Tissues and paper towels for sanitary purposes
- Small can and waterproof matches to melt snow for drinking water
- Sack of sand or cat litter for traction
- Windshield scraper and brush
- Tool kit
- Tow rope
- Battery booster cables
- Water container
- Compass and road maps.
Keep your gas tank near full to avoid ice in the tank and fuel lines.
Avoid traveling alone.
Let someone know your timetable and primary and alternate routes.