RICHLAND COUNTY, SC (WIS) - As the County prepares for Hurricane Florence, residents are asked to note the following:
- Richland County offices will close Friday, Sept. 14 and Monday, Sept. 17. The County will resume normal operating hours and activities Tuesday, Sept. 18.
- Curbside collections for trash and recycling scheduled for Friday will operate on a normal schedule, as County officials want to ensure roll carts are emptied prior to the arrival of Hurricane Florence.
- Yard waste scheduled for collection Friday will be delayed one week.
- The following will be closed Friday through Monday: Richland County Landfill Drop-off Center, 1070 Caughman Road North, Columbia; the Lower Richland Drop-off Center, 10531 Garners Ferry Road, Eastover; and the Clemson Road Drop-off Site, 900 Clemson Road, Columbia.
- The Richland County Construction and Demolition Debris landfill will operate Friday on a normal schedule. The landfill will be closed Saturday. A decision is pending regarding Monday’s hours.
EMERGENCY OPERATING CENTER:
- Residents who live in areas prone to flooding are encouraged to seek shelter in high ground areas ahead of the storm and have medication and other essential supplies for up to at least 72 hours. Residents may contact the Emergency Operation Center at 803-576-3439 for general inquiries or helpful tips on storm readiness.
- In addition to calling 911 in an emergency, Richland County residents can now text 911. “Text to 911” is a new capability of the Richland County 911 System that residents can use as an alternative to communicate with an emergency telecommunicator. The service is available Countywide. When texting to 911, be brief, including the location of the emergency, explain the type of assistance needed and avoid the use of abbreviations, symbols or emoticons. Call if you can, text if you can’t.
REPAIRS AFTER THE STORM:
- Repairs and/or reconstruction to structures located in and outside the floodplain that are damaged due to storm will require permits from the Floodplain Management Division, as required by the Richland County Land Development Code. A building permit also may be required. Failure to obtain the necessary permits can result in violations. For more information on the permitting process, contact the Building Department at 803-576-2140.
- No change to operating hours is anticipated for the Jim Hamilton- L.B. Owens Airport (CUB).
COUNTY EVENTS, MEETINGS:
- The Talkin’ Trash Community Event scheduled Monday, Sept. 17 is postponed. A new date will be announced soon.
- Richland County Council is scheduled to meet 6 p.m. Tuesday, Sept. 18 in Council Chambers.