Breathe Easier: These lung cancer survivors have found a way to - wistv.com - Columbia, South Carolina

Breathe Easier: These lung cancer survivors have found a way to breathe again

Breathe easy, my friend. Sounds like easy advice, right? For lung cancer survivors – not so much. It can actually be one of the toughest parts of their day.

That's why Karen McDonnell, her team of researchers at University of South Carolina, and Upstream Center in Columbia developed a program specifically for lung cancer survivors.

The purpose of the program is to teach strategies to lung cancer survivors and their families to enable survivors to reduce fatigue, stress, and difficulty breathing. The free course lasts for 8 weeks. Each class is two hours and includes breathing exercises, stress reduction meditations, gentle movements like chair yoga and discussions.

“What’s most problematic for people and most frightening is the shortness of breath,” McDonnell said. “We teach breathing practices and strategies for stress management.”

The founders at Upstream -- Jemme Stewart and Hilda White -- help lead the sessions, which each have different themes. Themes include “Breathing Exercises” or “Improving Your Sleep.”

McDonnell said the initial findings suggest the program has a significant effect on stress, fatigue and sleep.

And the proof, she said, is in the testimonials – including the story of 61-year-old Anthony Bookman.

“I’m not a betting man, but I can tell you my life has completely been changed,” Bookman said.

Bookman is a two-time cancer survivor. He was just re-diagnosed again earlier this month. He said you’ll soon be able to refer to him as a 3-time survivor.

“I know I will come out victorious,” he said.

Bookman has one lung left after doctors removed one during one of his fights with cancer. And because of Breathe Easier, he says he is able to operate without an oxygen tank.

“They work with me from my head to my feet. I think different, I breathe different, I eat different. I interact different,” Bookman said. “Through the exercises they taught me, it’s just to slow down and breathe. I can breathe through my nose, through my mouth. It helps me to slow down without being totally dependent on oxygen.

Again: the course is free! The next cycle of Breathe Easier begins on May 3rd. If you (or someone you know) would like to register, contact Dr. Karen McDonnell or David Gallerani by telephone: 803-777-9735 / 803-777-9866 or by email: Galleran@mailbox.sc.edu / Karenkm@mailbox.sc.edu.

Copyright 2018 WIS. All rights reserved.

Judge: President can't block critics on Twitter

Wednesday, May 23 2018 1:43 PM EDT2018-05-23 17:43:15 GMT
    Wednesday, May 23 2018 6:36 PM EDT2018-05-23 22:36:02 GMT
    A federal judge in New York says President Donald Trump cannot block his critics on Twitter without violating the First Amendment. (Source: CNN)A federal judge in New York says President Donald Trump cannot block his critics on Twitter without violating the First Amendment. (Source: CNN)

Pompeo: Fate of US-NKorea summit rests with Kim Jong Un

Wednesday, May 23 2018 12:44 AM EDT2018-05-23 04:44:27 GMT
    Wednesday, May 23 2018 6:34 PM EDT2018-05-23 22:34:09 GMT
    (AP Photo/Evan Vucci). President Donald Trump meets with South Korean President Moon Jae-In in the Oval Office of the White House, Tuesday, May 22, 2018, in Washington.(AP Photo/Evan Vucci). President Donald Trump meets with South Korean President Moon Jae-In in the Oval Office of the White House, Tuesday, May 22, 2018, in Washington.

The June 12 summit, planned for Singapore, offers a historic chance for peace on the peninsula - but also the risk of an epic diplomatic failure that would allow the North to revive and advance its nuclear weapons program.

Estimated 7,000 bodies may be buried at former asylum

Wednesday, May 23 2018 2:51 PM EDT2018-05-23 18:51:55 GMT
    Wednesday, May 23 2018 6:33 PM EDT2018-05-23 22:33:09 GMT
    (AP Photo/Rogelio V. Solis). In this May 9, 2018 photo taken in Starkville, Miss., Mississippi State University anthropologist Molly Zuckerman holds a portion of a mandible extracted from one of the graves unearthed at what was the graveyard of the Mis...(AP Photo/Rogelio V. Solis). In this May 9, 2018 photo taken in Starkville, Miss., Mississippi State University anthropologist Molly Zuckerman holds a portion of a mandible extracted from one of the graves unearthed at what was the graveyard of the Mis...
    Officials in Mississippi believe the remains of as many as 7,000 former patients at an asylum could be lying in an empty, grassy field on a university campus.More >>