9-year-old Midlands boy saves neighbor's life after car falls on - wistv.com - Columbia, South Carolina

9-year-old Midlands boy saves neighbor's life after car falls on top of him

A 9-year-old Sumter boy is being called a hero after coming to the aid of his neighbor in his most dire time of need. (Source: WIS) A 9-year-old Sumter boy is being called a hero after coming to the aid of his neighbor in his most dire time of need. (Source: WIS)
SUMTER, SC (WIS) -

Allen Clemmons was working on his Mustang convertible in his backyard on Saturday afternoon. As he attempted to remove the transmission, the car slid off the blocks and jack holding it up and fell onto Clemmons.

“I was having a really hard time breathing with it on top of me, even though I was kind of on my side,” Clemmons said.

For the next hour and a half he called out for help, but no one responded. His family was out running errands and most neighbors are out of earshot.

“I asked God to help me, to give me one more holler and send an angel by my way,” Clemmons said. “The last holler before I give up.”

After letting out that last holler, Clemmons was shocked to see 9-year-old Malachi running from a nearby yard.

“I was playing outside and I heard someone yelling,” Malachi said. “He was saying something like he was stuck but I didn’t know what he meant.”

When Malachi got close enough to see what had happened, he immediately grabbed a nearby jack and with the help of Clemmons guiding him, was able to get it back under the car. From there, he began pumping the two-foot pole until the car was raised off of Clemmons.

“My uncle taught me how to use a jack so I knew how,” Malachi said.

After relieving Clemmons of the weight of the car, he ran back to his aunt’s house to get help. Shortly after, a tow truck arrived and with the help of another jack, onlookers were able to pull Clemmons out from underneath the car. He was flown to Palmetto Health in Columbia for his injuries.

“I have six broken ribs and a fractured pelvis,” Clemmons said. “My shoulder is also banged up.”

Despite being injured, Clemmons said he is happy to be alive and thanks Malachi for saving his life.

“I don’t think I would have survived another 30 minutes,” he said. “It was getting really hard to breathe. He is truly my guardian angel.”

With therapy, Clemmons is expected to make a full recovery. Malachi plans to visit him in the hospital soon.

Copyright 2018 WIS. All rights reserved.

Oklahoma restaurant shooting victims recovering

Saturday, May 26 2018 4:03 AM EDT2018-05-26 08:03:40 GMT
    Saturday, May 26 2018 10:56 PM EDT2018-05-27 02:56:44 GMT
    (Sarah Phipps/The Oklahoman via AP). Police officers stand at the scene of a shooting on the east side of Lake Hefner in Oklahoma City, Thursday, May 24, 2018. A man armed with a pistol walked into Louie’s On The Lake restaurant at the dinner hour and ...(Sarah Phipps/The Oklahoman via AP). Police officers stand at the scene of a shooting on the east side of Lake Hefner in Oklahoma City, Thursday, May 24, 2018. A man armed with a pistol walked into Louie’s On The Lake restaurant at the dinner hour and ...
    Authorities say a Facebook page in which a man claims his television is possessed by the devil belongs to the man suspected of shooting three people at an Oklahoma City restaurant before being killed by two armed bystanders.More >>

The Latest: Rep: "Hero teacher" released from hospital

Saturday, May 26 2018 10:46 AM EDT2018-05-26 14:46:33 GMT
    Saturday, May 26 2018 10:56 PM EDT2018-05-27 02:56:23 GMT
    (Robert Scheer/The Indianapolis Star via AP). Empty school buses leave after a shooting at Noblesville West Middle School in Noblesville, Ind., on Friday, May 25, 2018. A male student opened fire at the suburban Indianapolis school wounding another stu...(Robert Scheer/The Indianapolis Star via AP). Empty school buses leave after a shooting at Noblesville West Middle School in Noblesville, Ind., on Friday, May 25, 2018. A male student opened fire at the suburban Indianapolis school wounding another stu...

The family of a student wounded during a school shooting in Indiana says she is in critical but stable condition.

US states prepare as Subtropical Storm Alberto heads north

Saturday, May 26 2018 5:23 AM EDT2018-05-26 09:23:12 GMT
    Saturday, May 26 2018 10:56 PM EDT2018-05-27 02:56:00 GMT
    A gradual strengthening is expected through the weekend as Alberto moves north. (Source: NOAA/CIRA/RAMMB/CNN)A gradual strengthening is expected through the weekend as Alberto moves north. (Source: NOAA/CIRA/RAMMB/CNN)

A storm moving slowly through the Caribbean Sea is threatening to bring heavy rainfall, mudslides, and flash floods to parts of Mexico, Cuba, Florida and the eastern U.S. Gulf Coast this weekend.