"I'm a writer, not a fighter." Teacher speaks out against being - wistv.com - Columbia, South Carolina

"I'm a writer, not a fighter." Teacher speaks out against being armed

(Source: WIS) (Source: WIS)
LEXINGTON COUNTY, SC (WIS) -

Debates continue across the United States on how to keep school children safe in the wake of a deadly school shooting in Florida that killed 17 students and staff in early February.

Florida's governor, Rick Scott, spoke out against a suggestion by president Donald Trump to arm some school teachers, while South Carolina Gov. Henry McMaster said he would sign a bill in the state house that would allow teachers in our state to carry firearms.

According to a study from the FBI, officers who engaged an active shooter were either wounded or killed in nearly 47 percent of incident.

Those are trained officers.

One Midlands teacher gave their thoughts on the bill.

"I would protect my students the best way I could by hiding them, but as far as having a gun myself no I'm not trained," Carla Bedenbaugh, a Lexington County teacher said. "I'm not a fighter, I'm not a skilled martial artsman(sic). If I understand correctly there were school resource officers on the grounds in parkland that were not able to stop this school shooting, why would they think that an English teacher or a math teacher would be able to do that?"

Opposed to the idea of having to wield weapons in classrooms, Bedenbaugh posits that the very thought is the antithesis of the call of the teacher.

“I didn’t want to be a police officer, or a solider or a prison guard," Bedenbaugh said. "I really love great literature and I like to write and I wanted to pass my love of literature and my love of words on to the next generation. So I went into teaching for that reason. I wanted to teach children how to love literature and how to write literature and use their words to solve problems. So as far as arming teachers: I’m a writer, not a fighter” says Bedenbaugh.

If McMaster signs the bill, teachers trained by Sled could carry concealed weapons on school grounds to respond to active shooters.

Educators would also provide protection in the absence of law enforcement.

Copyright 2018 WIS. All rights reserved.

Barbara Bush believed literacy could cure other ills

Friday, April 20 2018 1:33 AM EDT2018-04-20 05:33:17 GMT
    Friday, April 20 2018 8:14 AM EDT2018-04-20 12:14:40 GMT
    (AP Photo/Luc Novovitch, File). FILE - In this May 16, 1994 file photo, former first lady Barbara Bush reads to a group of children at the Clinton Family Inn, a shelter run by Homes for the Homeless in New York. Promoting literacy was a longtime cause ...(AP Photo/Luc Novovitch, File). FILE - In this May 16, 1994 file photo, former first lady Barbara Bush reads to a group of children at the Clinton Family Inn, a shelter run by Homes for the Homeless in New York. Promoting literacy was a longtime cause ...

Barbara Bush came up with the idea of focusing on literacy as first lady during a jog in 1978, the year her husband considered his first run for president.

Southwest Airlines sought more time for engine inspections

Thursday, April 19 2018 1:02 AM EDT2018-04-19 05:02:22 GMT
    Friday, April 20 2018 8:14 AM EDT2018-04-20 12:14:09 GMT
    (NTSB via AP). National Transportation Safety Board investigators examine damage to the engine of the Southwest Airlines plane that made an emergency landing at Philadelphia International Airport in Philadelphia on Tuesday, April 17, 2018. The Southwes...(NTSB via AP). National Transportation Safety Board investigators examine damage to the engine of the Southwest Airlines plane that made an emergency landing at Philadelphia International Airport in Philadelphia on Tuesday, April 17, 2018. The Southwes...

The Federal Aviation Administration's announcement late Wednesday comes nearly a year after the engine's manufacturer recommended the additional inspections, and a month after European regulators ordered their airlines to do the work.

Kushner Cos. subpoenaed by feds after AP report

Thursday, April 19 2018 11:12 PM EDT2018-04-20 03:12:45 GMT
    Friday, April 20 2018 8:13 AM EDT2018-04-20 12:13:19 GMT
    The Kushner Cos. is confirming it was subpoenaed by federal prosecutors for information related to documents about its buildings in New York City. (AP Photo/Evan Vucci)The Kushner Cos. is confirming it was subpoenaed by federal prosecutors for information related to documents about its buildings in New York City. (AP Photo/Evan Vucci)

The Kushner Cos. is confirming it was subpoenaed by federal prosecutors for information related to an Associated Press report that the company filed dozens of false documents about its buildings in New York City.