Volunteer's actions speak louder than words, one bag at a time - wistv.com - Columbia, South Carolina

Volunteer's actions speak louder than words, one bag at a time

CASSATT, SC (WIS) -

Michael Arrington is arguably one of the nicest people you’ll meet.

Hailing from “up in the mountains”, North Carolina, he knows the value of a community that pulls together, and learned that lesson early from his parents.

"My Mom and Daddy raised me that way,” Arrington said. “My mom helped at the school and my dad helped at church. We just grew up helping our neighbors."

Now living in Cassatt, SC with his family and working as a forester, he spends a lot of time at Midway Elementary School.

His kids attended the school years ago, and once they went on to higher education, he stuck around helping out at the school. He mentors classrooms and reads to younger kids in the school’s library. When asked why he stuck around, he said: "I don't think about it. I've never really thought about it,” Arrington said. “I just - this is what I do, you know? I guess this is what the Lord wants me to do, so this is what I do. I don't ask. I don't question it."

Once a week, he also delivers non-perishable items through his church’s “Sacks of Love” initiative.

“There’s kids here who need food through the weekend and that’s what it’s here for,” Arrington said. “Being hungry…it’s hard to learn your math if you’re hungry.”

Members of Arrington's church, Malvern Hill Baptist Church, pack the bags with non-perishable items for kids who need food for the weekend. Thirty to sixty bags make their way into students backpacks a week, and that process is completely anonymous. Teachers choose students based on need and discreetly put those bags in student’s backpacks.

And why it’s all worth it?

“I just love the kids,” Arrington said.

• Trending StoriesTrending StoriesMore>>

• BREAKING

Bill Cosby convicted of sexual assault

Bill Cosby convicted of sexual assault

Tuesday, April 24 2018 5:55 AM EDT2018-04-24 09:55:21 GMT
    Thursday, April 26 2018 2:48 PM EDT2018-04-26 18:48:25 GMT

The jury in Bill Cosby's sexual assault retrial has reached a verdict: guilty on all counts.

Accused serial rapist and killer undetected working as cop

Thursday, April 26 2018 2:39 AM EDT2018-04-26 06:39:08 GMT
    Thursday, April 26 2018 12:53 PM EDT2018-04-26 16:53:13 GMT
    (AP Photo/Rich Pedroncelli). Sacramento County Sheriff Scott Jones, left, talks to reporters about the arrest Joesph James DeAngelo, seen in photo, on suspicion of committing a string of violent crimes in the 1970's and 1980's after a news conference. ...(AP Photo/Rich Pedroncelli). Sacramento County Sheriff Scott Jones, left, talks to reporters about the arrest Joesph James DeAngelo, seen in photo, on suspicion of committing a string of violent crimes in the 1970's and 1980's after a news conference. ...

The suspected Golden State Killer became less prolific but deadlier after losing his job as a police officer.

Texas gang member executed for killing girl, grandmother

Wednesday, April 25 2018 12:55 AM EDT2018-04-25 04:55:40 GMT
    Thursday, April 26 2018 1:23 AM EDT2018-04-26 05:23:56 GMT
    (Texas Department of Criminal Justice via AP). This undated photo provided by the Texas Department of Criminal Justice shows Erick Davila. Attorneys for the Texas death row inmate want the U.S. Supreme Court to halt his scheduled execution this week fo...(Texas Department of Criminal Justice via AP). This undated photo provided by the Texas Department of Criminal Justice shows Erick Davila. Attorneys for the Texas death row inmate want the U.S. Supreme Court to halt his scheduled execution this week fo...
    Attorneys for a condemned Texas prisoner are asking the US Supreme Court to halt his execution for killing a young girl and her grandmother in 2008.More >>