COLUMBIA, SC (WIS) - Between Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Year's, we're at no loss for high-calorie desserts.
If you want an alternative, nutrition consultant Lere' Robinson of Alive Again has options. One of Lere's favorite healthy desserts to make is an apple sundae.
- 2 apples
- 2 Tbsp raw almond butter
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1 1/2 tsp almond extract
- 2 Tbsp chopped almonds
- 2 Tbsp grated coconut
The directions are:
- Coarsely chop almonds and set aside for topping.
- In a small mixing bowl, blend almond butter, maple syrup, and almond extract until smooth. It should be the consistency of caramel sauce.
- Cut the apples into quarters and core.
- Then cut the quarters into 3 pieces lengthwise and 1/4-inch pieces crosswise.
- Place in two serving bowls.
- Drizzle the sauce over the two bowls of apples and top with almonds and coconut.
Find more recipes at: https://www.aliveagainonline.com/.