Thanksgiving more meaningful for SC firefighter saved by hero - wistv.com - Columbia, South Carolina

Thanksgiving more meaningful for SC firefighter saved by hero

When Greg Bailey and his wife celebrate Thanksgiving, they'll give thanks for more than just food and family. (Source: WISTV) When Greg Bailey and his wife celebrate Thanksgiving, they'll give thanks for more than just food and family. (Source: WISTV)

"I'll be thinking that I have my husband with me. I'll be so grateful that we're together again,” said his wife, Marty. “It truly is a day for me to give thanks."

"I'm walking. I'm talking. I'm above dirt,” her husband added.

Rewind to October 1st on the Ravenel Bridge. Dozens of firefighters crossed the bridge to remember 9/11. Bailey was one of them. He's a paramedic and assistant chief at a volunteer department in Aiken County, Couchton Fire Rescue.

"Last thing I remember was getting off work two days before,” said Bailey.

During the walk, Bailey got dizzy and passed out. He was having a massive heart attack.

"I was at the right place at the right time,” he said.

That’s because by his side was Jesse Bussey, a fellow volunteer at Bailey's department and a full-time Columbia firefighter. You could say Bailey is Bussey's mentor. At that point, his mentor was passed out in front of him, turning purple, and dying.

"Having to render aid yourself to somebody, let alone somebody that you work closely with,” Bussey said in a previous interview with WIS. “It's crazy."

But that's what he did, and by all accounts, he and other heroes saved Bailey's life.

"About a week ago, I finally got to talk to him, and all I could say – get out of my mouth – was 'thank you,'" Bailey said.

"My hero,” added Bailey’s wife. “He's my hero. He didn't have to. I mean, he could have said, 'Hey, I don't want to get involved.' Or he could have freaked out and said, 'Oh my God! I don't know what to do now.'"

Instead, after a month of MUSC, Bailey's back home and more thankful than ever.

"Being a paramedic, after the hundreds of cardiac arrests I've worked, there's a handful of saves. I'm just a miracle,” he said.

Bailey and his wife also had lots of thanks for Charleston Fire and Police Departments, North Charleston, other departments down there, and MUSC.

He's already thinking about going back down there next year for the 9/11 walk.

Copyright 2017 WIS. All rights reserved.

After years of dejection, proponents of gun laws see hope

Saturday, February 24 2018 10:35 AM EST2018-02-24 15:35:23 GMT
    Sunday, February 25 2018 8:59 AM EST2018-02-25 13:59:03 GMT
    The progression has become numbingly repetitive - mass bloodshed unleashed by a gunman, followed by the stories of the fallen, the funerals and mourning. (Source: AP Photos)The progression has become numbingly repetitive - mass bloodshed unleashed by a gunman, followed by the stories of the fallen, the funerals and mourning. (Source: AP Photos)

"Our kids have started a revolution:" Teens' activism after Florida school shooting has some hopeful for action on gun policy.

2 dead as severe weather moves eastward through central US

Sunday, February 25 2018 2:25 AM EST2018-02-25 07:25:46 GMT
    Sunday, February 25 2018 8:58 AM EST2018-02-25 13:58:38 GMT
    (Liz Dufour/The Cincinnati Enquirer via AP). A view from the Central Bridge shows the flooding from the Ohio River  Saturday, Feb. 24, 2018 in Cincinnati.  Forecasters expected the Ohio River could reach levels not seen since the region's deadly 1997 f...(Liz Dufour/The Cincinnati Enquirer via AP). A view from the Central Bridge shows the flooding from the Ohio River Saturday, Feb. 24, 2018 in Cincinnati. Forecasters expected the Ohio River could reach levels not seen since the region's deadly 1997 f...

A man in northeast Arkansas and a woman in south central Kentucky both were killed as the storm that also included strong winds, hail and heavy rain that triggered flooding muscled its way through the area, according to authorities.

Trump says he's eyeing Veterans' Day for military parade

Saturday, February 24 2018 10:05 PM EST2018-02-25 03:05:32 GMT
    Sunday, February 25 2018 8:57 AM EST2018-02-25 13:57:32 GMT
    (Source: White House)(Source: White House)

The president says a parade would be "something great" for the country's spirit.