Thanksgiving more meaningful for SC firefighter saved by hero - wistv.com - Columbia, South Carolina

Thanksgiving more meaningful for SC firefighter saved by hero

When Greg Bailey and his wife celebrate Thanksgiving, they'll give thanks for more than just food and family. (Source: WISTV) When Greg Bailey and his wife celebrate Thanksgiving, they'll give thanks for more than just food and family. (Source: WISTV)

"I'll be thinking that I have my husband with me. I'll be so grateful that we're together again,” said his wife, Marty. “It truly is a day for me to give thanks."

"I'm walking. I'm talking. I'm above dirt,” her husband added.

Rewind to October 1st on the Ravenel Bridge. Dozens of firefighters crossed the bridge to remember 9/11. Bailey was one of them. He's a paramedic and assistant chief at a volunteer department in Aiken County, Couchton Fire Rescue.

"Last thing I remember was getting off work two days before,” said Bailey.

During the walk, Bailey got dizzy and passed out. He was having a massive heart attack.

"I was at the right place at the right time,” he said.

That’s because by his side was Jesse Bussey, a fellow volunteer at Bailey's department and a full-time Columbia firefighter. You could say Bailey is Bussey's mentor. At that point, his mentor was passed out in front of him, turning purple, and dying.

"Having to render aid yourself to somebody, let alone somebody that you work closely with,” Bussey said in a previous interview with WIS. “It's crazy."

But that's what he did, and by all accounts, he and other heroes saved Bailey's life.

"About a week ago, I finally got to talk to him, and all I could say – get out of my mouth – was 'thank you,'" Bailey said.

"My hero,” added Bailey’s wife. “He's my hero. He didn't have to. I mean, he could have said, 'Hey, I don't want to get involved.' Or he could have freaked out and said, 'Oh my God! I don't know what to do now.'"

Instead, after a month of MUSC, Bailey's back home and more thankful than ever.

"Being a paramedic, after the hundreds of cardiac arrests I've worked, there's a handful of saves. I'm just a miracle,” he said.

Bailey and his wife also had lots of thanks for Charleston Fire and Police Departments, North Charleston, other departments down there, and MUSC.

He's already thinking about going back down there next year for the 9/11 walk.

Copyright 2017 WIS. All rights reserved.

California university won't punish professor who jeered Bush

Tuesday, April 24 2018 10:27 PM EDT2018-04-25 02:27:20 GMT
    Wednesday, April 25 2018 4:54 AM EDT2018-04-25 08:54:27 GMT
    Jarrar doubled down on her position in later tweets and even boasted "I will never be fired." (Source: @RandaJarrar/Twitter) Jarrar doubled down on her position in later tweets and even boasted "I will never be fired." (Source: @RandaJarrar/Twitter)Jarrar doubled down on her position in later tweets and even boasted "I will never be fired." (Source: @RandaJarrar/Twitter) Jarrar doubled down on her position in later tweets and even boasted "I will never be fired." (Source: @RandaJarrar/Twitter)

A California State University, Fresno professor who called Barbara Bush "an amazing racist" and cheered her death won't be punished.

Jury to deliberate after Cosby painted as predator, victim

Wednesday, April 25 2018 12:26 AM EDT2018-04-25 04:26:54 GMT
    Wednesday, April 25 2018 4:53 AM EDT2018-04-25 08:53:43 GMT
    (AP Photo/Matt Slocum). Bill Cosby departs after his sexual assault trial near a cloud of bubbles blown by a protester, Tuesday, April 24, 2018, at the Montgomery County Courthouse in Norristown, Pa.(AP Photo/Matt Slocum). Bill Cosby departs after his sexual assault trial near a cloud of bubbles blown by a protester, Tuesday, April 24, 2018, at the Montgomery County Courthouse in Norristown, Pa.

Jurors at Bill Cosby's sexual assault retrial are poised to start deliberating after a marathon day of closing arguments.

Senators grow frustrated with lax Trump vetting on nominees

Wednesday, April 25 2018 12:47 AM EDT2018-04-25 04:47:40 GMT
    Wednesday, April 25 2018 4:52 AM EDT2018-04-25 08:52:10 GMT
    (AP Photo/Alex Brandon). CIA director Mike Pompeo and his wife Susan Pompeo arrive for a State Dinner with French President Emmanuel Macron and President Donald Trump at the White House, Tuesday, April 24, 2018, in Washington.(AP Photo/Alex Brandon). CIA director Mike Pompeo and his wife Susan Pompeo arrive for a State Dinner with French President Emmanuel Macron and President Donald Trump at the White House, Tuesday, April 24, 2018, in Washington.

As President Donald Trump's pick to lead Veterans Affairs skids to a halt, senators from both parties are voicing frustration that the White House is skipping crucial vetting of nominees and leaving lawmakers to clean up the mess.