Mold forces closure of living quarters in Lexington Co. fire sta - wistv.com - Columbia, South Carolina

Mold forces closure of living quarters in Lexington Co. fire stations

LEXINGTON COUNTY, SC (WIS) -

Living quarters at two Lexington County Fire Service stations are temporarily closed because of air quality concerns from mold. 

The stations affected are Fire Station 8 in Gilbert and Station 14 in Fairview.

The temporary closures were made after air-quality tests indicated elevated mold-spore count levels in the living areas. 

Fire Service personnel reported to County officials that condensation was accumulating on the ceiling tiles and light fixtures in the stations. The County subsequently had an air-quality test performed at the stations. 

Temporary housing arrangements have been made for firefighters until the problem can be corrected.

Lexington County Fire Service says the temporary closures will not affect service to response areas.

The County has not received any reports or complaints of illness, health issues or health concerns from the Fire Service professionals assigned to these stations. 

“The County is working swiftly and diligently to begin the remediation process at these fire stations to ensure that our personnel have a safe, healthy and cultivating environment to work and live in,” County Council Chairman Todd Cullum says.

Copyright 2017 WIS. All rights reserved. 

  • Trending StoriesTrending StoriesMore>>

  • FBI arrests 120, recovers 84 children in human trafficking sting

    FBI arrests 120, recovers 84 children in human trafficking sting

    Thursday, October 19 2017 7:04 AM EDT2017-10-19 11:04:01 GMT
    Thursday, October 19 2017 7:42 AM EDT2017-10-19 11:42:20 GMT

    The youngest victim recovered this year was a 3-month-old girl, and the average age of victims recovered during the operation was 15 years old. 

    More >>

    The youngest victim recovered this year was a 3-month-old girl, and the average age of victims recovered during the operation was 15 years old. 

    More >>
  • A painful pumpkin patch warning about ticks

    A painful pumpkin patch warning about ticks

    Thursday, October 19 2017 9:23 AM EDT2017-10-19 13:23:08 GMT
    A California woman warning about ticks in the pumpkin patch. (Source: Facebook)A California woman warning about ticks in the pumpkin patch. (Source: Facebook)

    A woman has taken to Facebook with a painful warning for anyone heading to pumpkin patches this fall.  In the post Jennifer Velasquez says she contracted Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever after wearing flip-flops and shorts to a pumpkin patch.  Jennifer Velasquez

    More >>

    A woman has taken to Facebook with a painful warning for anyone heading to pumpkin patches this fall.  In the post Jennifer Velasquez says she contracted Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever after wearing flip-flops and shorts to a pumpkin patch.  Jennifer Velasquez

    More >>
  • Trauma surgeons take lifesaving measures after man's legs caught in grain auger

    Trauma surgeons take lifesaving measures after man's legs caught in grain auger

    Thursday, October 19 2017 7:32 PM EDT2017-10-19 23:32:09 GMT
    A farm accident between Plainview and Floydada led to life-saving measures by an emergency rescue and trauma team (Source: TTUHSC)A farm accident between Plainview and Floydada led to life-saving measures by an emergency rescue and trauma team (Source: TTUHSC)

    A farm accident between Plainview and Floydada led to life-saving measures by an emergency rescue and trauma team Tuesday (October 17th). Fifty-nine year-old Leo Martinez was trapped when his legs were caught inside of a 20-foot tall grain auger cart, causing severe life-threatening injuries.

    More >>

    A farm accident between Plainview and Floydada led to life-saving measures by an emergency rescue and trauma team Tuesday (October 17th). Fifty-nine year-old Leo Martinez was trapped when his legs were caught inside of a 20-foot tall grain auger cart, causing severe life-threatening injuries.

    More >>
Powered by Frankly