COLUMBIA, SC (WIS) - Two Palmetto State receivers have caught the eyes of a prestigious college football award committee.
South Carolina's Deebo Samuel and Clemson's Deon Cain were announced as two of 45 players named to the Biletnikoff Award watch list. The award is given to college football's top receiver by the Tallahassee Quarterback Club Foundation.
A preseason third-team All-SEC selection, Samuel has 71 career catches for 944 yards and two receiving touchdowns. Last year, Samuel also provided six touchdowns with 98 rushing yards on 15 carries. He also returned one kickoff for a score and threw a touchdown pass as well.
Samuel, a redshirt junior wide receiver out of Inman, S.C., is one of four SEC receivers on the Biletnikoff List.
Cain finished the 2017 season with 38 catches for 724 yards and nine touchdowns to help the Tigers secure the national title.
Against Alabama in the national title game, Cain has five catches for 94 yards.
Semifinalists for the award will be announced on November 13, 2017. A week later, the Biletnikoff Award National Selection Committee will announce the three finalists for the award.
Here's a look at the full watch list.
- Sergio Bailey II, Eastern Michigan
- Linell Bonner, Houston
- Adam Breneman, Massachusetts
- Ventell Bryant, Temple
- Deon Cain, Clemson
- Keke Coutee, Texas Tech
- Deondre Douglas, Troy
- Jonathan Duhart, Old Dominion
- Shay Fields, Colorado
- Michael Gallup, Colorado State
- James Gardner, Miami (Ohio)
- Devin Gray, Cincinnati
- Andy Isabella, Massachusetts
- Richie James, Middle Tennessee
- Jon’Vea Johnson, Toledo
- KeeSean Johnson, Fresno State
- Christian Kirk, Texas A&M
- Allen Lazard, Iowa State
- Tavares Martin Jr., Washington State
- Jalen McCleskey, Oklahoma State
- Anthony Miller, Memphis
- Scott Miller, Bowling Green
- J’Mon Moore, Missouri
- Dante Pettis, Washington
- Ervin Philips, Syracuse
- Cam Phillips, Virginia Tech
- T.J. Rahming, Duke
- Ahmmon Richards, Miami
- Calvin Ridley, Alabama
- Demetris Robertson, California
- Devin Ross, Colorado
- Deebo Samuel, South Carolina
- Steven Sims Jr., Kansas
- Tre’Quan Smith, UCF
- Equanimeous St. Brown, Notre Dame
- Allenzae Staggers, Southern Miss
- Courtland Sutton, SMU
- Cody Thompson, Toledo
- Emanuel Thompson, Troy
- James Washington, Oklahoma State
- Jester Weah, Pitt
- Nick Westbrook, Indiana
- Jimmy Williams, East Carolina
- Corey Willis, Central Michigan
- Cedrick Wilson, Boise State