Sorry kids: Colorado man wants to ban phones for preteens - wistv.com - Columbia, South Carolina

Sorry kids: Colorado man wants to ban phones for preteens

This kid does not look happy about not being on his phone. (Source: KCNC via CNN) This kid does not look happy about not being on his phone. (Source: KCNC via CNN)

(RNN) - Oh those darn kids and their fancy smartphones. If only there was a way to prevent them from having them.

Enter Tim Farnum, Colorado's resident anti-preteen data usage crusader.

Farnum is opposed to the kids playing the Angry Birds, the Candy Crush and the Clash Royale. Also, the opposition is opposed to LOL-ing, face swapping and emoji-ing with SnapChat followers. He is spearheading a campaign to get a law passed that would punish retailers who sell smartphones for use by anyone under 13 years old.

The group Farnum founded is called Parents Against Underage Smartphones, which should be named Parents Against Underage Smartphone Users.

There is no word on how old Farnum believes the smartphone needs to be before it can be purchased for a preteen.

PAUS' website says "we truly are at an unprecedented crossroads in history," and claims that if the plan succeeds, "all the other states will be jealous."

It also links to an article about Microsoft founder Bill Gates saying under 14 is too young to have a smartphone, as well as a proposed law in Ireland that would set the age at 14.

The group's bill proposal would require retailers to ask who the phone is intended for and then report to the state government that it did so. If the retailer sells a phone intended to be used by a preteen, they get fined.

If they don't sell that phone, peace and world unity will have been maintained throughout the land.

There is no word on what happens if anyone involved lies. There are also no specifics on what happens if someone at least 13 years old lets a kid use their phone or if the phone is acquired for free.

The proposal needs 300,000 signatures before it can be placed on the ballot in November 2018.

The website says Farnum is an anesthesiologist and father of five, ages 11-19.

Copyright 2017 Raycom News Network. All rights reserved.

  • Who should be allowed to buy a smartphone?

  • Thank you for participating in our poll. Here are the results so far:

    Everyone
    51%
    102 votes
    No one
    4%
    8 votes
    Age 13 and older
    22%
    45 votes
    Some other age limit
    14%
    29 votes
    Me and no one else
    9%
    19 votes
  • Social media newsMore>>

  • Lawsuit over white nationalist's Twitter ban clears hurdle

    Lawsuit over white nationalist's Twitter ban clears hurdle

    Friday, June 15 2018 10:48 AM EDT2018-06-15 14:48:27 GMT
    Friday, June 15 2018 6:41 PM EDT2018-06-15 22:41:16 GMT
    A California judge has refused to dismiss a lawsuit that accuses Twitter of violating the free speech rights of a leading figure in the white nationalist movement by permanently banning his social media account.More >>
    A California judge has refused to dismiss a lawsuit that accuses Twitter of violating the free speech rights of a leading figure in the white nationalist movement by permanently banning his social media account.More >>
  • Yelp shuts down teachers' account sharing student reviews

    Yelp shuts down teachers' account sharing student reviews

    Friday, June 15 2018 3:28 PM EDT2018-06-15 19:28:38 GMT
    Friday, June 15 2018 3:35 PM EDT2018-06-15 19:35:55 GMT
    Yelp is shutting down accounts used by a Boston teacher to post rave restaurant reviews written by her third-grade students.More >>
    Yelp is shutting down accounts used by a Boston teacher to post rave restaurant reviews written by her third-grade students.More >>
  • Rumors spread on social media fuel deadly India mob attacks

    Rumors spread on social media fuel deadly India mob attacks

    Thursday, June 14 2018 5:37 AM EDT2018-06-14 09:37:46 GMT
    Thursday, June 14 2018 7:10 AM EDT2018-06-14 11:10:53 GMT
    (AP Photo/Anupam Nath). In this Monday, June 11, 2018 photo, Gopal Chandra Das, left and Radhika Das, parents of Nilotpal Das, who was killed in a mob attack hold his photograph during a ritual at his residence in Gauhati, India. Fueled by rumors of ch...(AP Photo/Anupam Nath). In this Monday, June 11, 2018 photo, Gopal Chandra Das, left and Radhika Das, parents of Nilotpal Das, who was killed in a mob attack hold his photograph during a ritual at his residence in Gauhati, India. Fueled by rumors of ch...
    Fueled by rumors of child kidnappers that spread on social media, mobs have killed well over a dozen Indians in brutal attacks since early May.More >>
    Fueled by rumors of child kidnappers that spread on social media, mobs have killed well over a dozen Indians in brutal attacks since early May.More >>
Powered by Frankly