Have you set up a Yahoo id as a back up email address but haven't used it for a while? Where tonight there's a warning you need to know! Yahoo plans to recycle Yahoo user IDs that have been inactiveMore >>
If you haven't used yours in a while it may be in jeopardy of falling in someone else's hands.More >>
Tuesday, May 7 2013 9:35 PM EDT2013-05-08 01:35:30 GMT
Election day is well underway as voters head to the polls to choose a new congressman or woman. Being a special election, polls are expected to be relatively busy, but election officials are not expectingMore >>
Former South Carolina Gov. Mark Sanford has redeemed a political career sidelined by scandal by winning his old congressional seat. Sanford defeated Elizabeth Colbert Busch Tuesday in the state's 1st Congressional District.More >>
CHARLOTTE, NC (WBTV) - It seems that with every keystroke and every click of the mouse, someone is tracking you online. Whether it's your phone, your tablet, or even your web browser. We have givenMore >>
More web browser companies are offering a "do not track" option to protect customers privacy.More >>
Wednesday, September 12 2012 9:03 AM EDT2012-09-12 13:03:55 GMT
Those who bought into timeshare properties are quickly finding they were not the "investment" many were led to believe. Now hundreds are practically giving their timeshares away to get out from under the fees. More >>
Those who bought into timeshare properties are quickly finding they were not the "investment" many were led to believe. Now hundreds are practically giving their timeshares away to get out from under the fees.More >>
(National) Feb. 22, 2005 - John Welsh's house was destroyed in a fire that started with the clothes dryer, "My wife put laundry in about 11:15 at night. By 11:25 the house was ablaze."
Fire officials say lint that had built up in the dryer duct caught fire. Welsh says, "We lost everything that we had." Fortunately, John, his wife and daughter managed to escape.
Dryer fires are all too common, according to Consumer Reports’ Jim Nanni, "As many as 20 people a year die in fires linked to clothes dryers. And, that's sad, because it's an avoidable situation."
Consumer Reports says flexible ducts made of foil or plastic pose the most serious problems. They can sag, letting lint build up at a low point. And, ridges can also trap lint.
Experts say flexible or solid metal ducts are far safer. They don't sag, so lint is less likely to build up. And, if a fire does start, a metal duct is more likely to contain it.
Consumer Reports says in addition to installing the right kind of dyer duct you should clean it regularly, so lint doesn't build up. Not only will this reduce the risk of fire, but it will also mean you'll use less energy, and your clothes will dry faster.
News 10 received an email on this story:
My name is Janene B. and I am a volunteer firefighter. Our house caught on fire November 14, 2003. It was caused by the dryer. Ours was not caused by the lint in the dryer, it was caused by the control. One great tip to put out for the people is, don't go to bed with your dryer on and do not leave the house with your dryer running. Thanks.