Gilbert man may get a second chance at life - wistv.com - Columbia, South Carolina

Gilbert man may get a second chance at life

GILBERT, SC (WIS) -

A Gilbert man who feels like he may only have a few months to live, now has hope that he may be getting a second chance at life.

Last month, we learned about Tommy Taylor and the device he says is saving his life.

A clinical trial on an experimental implant to control his high blood pressure has run out and the device did not get FDA approval. That means no doctor in the U.S. will help Taylor. So he had to go overseas since the device is approved in Europe.

He recently returned from meeting with half a dozen doctors over there and one in Germany has agreed to help.

But that's just one hurdle Taylor must overcome.

"I've got four months,” Taylor said. “I have to have it replaced by the end of August -- first week in September is the absolute deadline because my device will go dead and if it goes dead, I go dead. It's that simple."

It's not much time but Taylor has faith.

"I felt like David going up against Goliath except I didn't have a rock and sling,” Taylor said. “So now I feel like, with attorneys on my side, I now have a rock and sling to at least stand up against the giant."

When we last saw Taylor he believed he had one week left to live.

With the clinical trial over, the device controlling his high blood pressure was going to be taken out. Now, a month and a half later, he canceled the surgery and has attorneys who are helping him fight.

"As a lawyers we don't normally think of saving lives,” said Michael Kelly, Taylor's attorney. “In this case I think God used me to save his life."

Kelly has reached out to the company, CVRx, that makes Taylor's device.

"They act like this is no big deal that this is something he signed on for," Kelly said.

With the company unwilling to negotiate, Taylor found a doctor in Germany who will replace the device.

"As I told him my story about what had happened about my clinical trial here he kept saying 'unbelievable' He must have said it about 20 times," Taylor said.

Taylor said the total cost of surgery and travel is less than what it would have cost him in the U.S. But the device needs to be replaced every year.

"I have to come up with $100,000 every year for the rest of my life because I am totally dependent on this device to keep me alive," Taylor said.

He's still waiting on a miracle.

"I'm a Christian,” Taylor said. “I know God will take care of me but it's the flesh -- the reality that I could not be here. I want to live. I want to live."

But through all of this Taylor emphasizes the support. Without people caring, he said he may not still be here.

He doesn't know where the money will come from but his faith is strong. He's trusting he'll be taken care of. People can continue to pray for him and donate.

Copyright 2015 WIS. All rights reserved.

North Korea slams Pence remark, renews threat to quit summit

Wednesday, May 23 2018 8:51 PM EDT2018-05-24 00:51:44 GMT
    Thursday, May 24 2018 12:24 AM EDT2018-05-24 04:24:22 GMT
    (AP Photo/Ahn Young-joon). Women protesters stage a rally for peace on the Korea peninsular near U.S. Embassy in Seoul, Wednesday, May 23, 2018. U.S. President Donald Trump labored with South Korea's Moon Jae-in Tuesday to keep the highly anticipated U...(AP Photo/Ahn Young-joon). Women protesters stage a rally for peace on the Korea peninsular near U.S. Embassy in Seoul, Wednesday, May 23, 2018. U.S. President Donald Trump labored with South Korea's Moon Jae-in Tuesday to keep the highly anticipated U...
    A top North Korean official says recent comments by U.S. Vice President Mike Pence were "stupid" and "ignorant" and again warns the country is willing to pull out of a planned summit with Trump.More >>

Syria state-run media reports US-led airstrike on army posts

Wednesday, May 23 2018 9:11 PM EDT2018-05-24 01:11:43 GMT
    Thursday, May 24 2018 12:24 AM EDT2018-05-24 04:24:15 GMT
    A Pentagon spokesman said there was "no information" to confirm or deny the reports. (Source: Raycom Media)A Pentagon spokesman said there was "no information" to confirm or deny the reports. (Source: Raycom Media)

Syrian government-run media outlet is reporting that U.S.-led coalition airstrikes have struck Syrian army positions in eastern Syria near the front lines with the Islamic State group.

Pompeo: Fate of US-NKorea summit rests with Kim Jong Un

Wednesday, May 23 2018 12:44 AM EDT2018-05-23 04:44:27 GMT
    Thursday, May 24 2018 12:23 AM EDT2018-05-24 04:23:46 GMT
    (AP Photo/Evan Vucci). President Donald Trump meets with South Korean President Moon Jae-In in the Oval Office of the White House, Tuesday, May 22, 2018, in Washington.(AP Photo/Evan Vucci). President Donald Trump meets with South Korean President Moon Jae-In in the Oval Office of the White House, Tuesday, May 22, 2018, in Washington.

The June 12 summit, planned for Singapore, offers a historic chance for peace on the peninsula - but also the risk of an epic diplomatic failure that would allow the North to revive and advance its nuclear weapons program.