COLUMBIA, SC (WIS) - Two people are dead after an early morning house fire in Columbia says Chief Aubrey Jenkins with the Columbia Fire Department.
The fire happened around 6:30 a.m. on Saturday at 5147 Floran Street.
Columbia Fire officials say when they arrived on the scene the there was heavy smoke and flames coming from inside the home.
According to Chief Jenkins multiple space heaters are the preliminary cause of the fire.
Richland County Coroner Gary Watts says Ned Woods, Sr.,88 and Helen Woods, 83, both died from smoke inhalation and thermal injuries.
Officials say one firefighter was taken to the hospital with minor injuries but was released after being treated.
The Columbia Fire Department is still investigating the incident.
Coroner Watts is reminding everyone to check the batteries in their smoke detectors to make sure they are operational.