Employee recognizes business owner for supporting SC National Gu - wistv.com - Columbia, South Carolina

Employee recognizes business owner for supporting SC National Guard

It's easy to see that the people who work for Irene Brotherton enjoy their jobs. One employee, in particular, was grateful to Brotherton for hiring her.

"This has been my blessing," said Cheryl Kellum, a sergeant with the South Carolina National Guard. She has served in Iraq, Afghanistan and Kuwait.

She says some times, employers are hesitant to hire guard members because of their erratic schedules.

"I think sometimes they're leery of hiring people because we may get called at short notice, but we're still very qualified and we're very thankful for the employers that actually do support us."

To show her gratitude, Kellum nominated Brotherton for the Patriotic Employer award, honoring employer support of the guard and reserve. Brotherton received the award at a surprise presentation at Atlantic-Pacific Express.

"She has been a good employer," Kellum said. "She is very understanding of the fact, you know, sometimes I get called away during the week. Some people don't realize reservists, it's just one weekend a month, two weeks a year, but it doesn't mean its only Saturday and Sunday. She's just been very understanding and accommodating to the military service."

"When I hired Cheryl, I was looking a veteran because I felt it was the right thing to do," Brotherton said.

"I just wanted to hire a veteran because I felt like the training and the discipline that they had received while in the service would carry over into our business, because our business is very detail-oriented and it takes a person with a lot of discipline to do the work that I ask everyone to do."

Brotherton said she is humbled by the honor.

"I never want any attention for anything I've done or did on the community and to get an award of this nature is -- it is heartwarming. I really appreciate it and I'm very flattered by it."

"I've been excited about this for her all day because she really does deserve it," Kellum said.

"I'm blessed," Brotherton said. "I thank God every day that I have my employees...I'm a very blessed woman and I give God the glory."

Copyright 2014 WIS. All rights reserved.

• Inside WISTV.comMore>>

Political end to Olympics: NKorea offers talks with US

Sunday, February 25 2018 2:16 AM EST2018-02-25 07:16:08 GMT
    Sunday, February 25 2018 8:46 AM EST2018-02-25 13:46:44 GMT
    (AP Photo/Patrick Semansky). A volunteer walks in a foggy Pyeongchang Olympic Plaza during the 2018 Winter Olympics in Pyeongchang, South Korea, Saturday, Feb. 24, 2018.(AP Photo/Patrick Semansky). A volunteer walks in a foggy Pyeongchang Olympic Plaza during the 2018 Winter Olympics in Pyeongchang, South Korea, Saturday, Feb. 24, 2018.

Pyeongchang closes its chapter of the modern Olympics on Sunday night with tales of detente and competitive grit and volunteerism and verve.

2 dead as severe weather moves eastward through central US

Sunday, February 25 2018 2:25 AM EST2018-02-25 07:25:46 GMT
    Sunday, February 25 2018 8:46 AM EST2018-02-25 13:46:12 GMT
    (Liz Dufour/The Cincinnati Enquirer via AP). A view from the Central Bridge shows the flooding from the Ohio River  Saturday, Feb. 24, 2018 in Cincinnati.  Forecasters expected the Ohio River could reach levels not seen since the region's deadly 1997 f...(Liz Dufour/The Cincinnati Enquirer via AP). A view from the Central Bridge shows the flooding from the Ohio River Saturday, Feb. 24, 2018 in Cincinnati. Forecasters expected the Ohio River could reach levels not seen since the region's deadly 1997 f...

A man in northeast Arkansas and a woman in south central Kentucky both were killed as the storm that also included strong winds, hail and heavy rain that triggered flooding muscled its way through the area, according to authorities.

NRA, Florida face backlash after latest school shooting

Saturday, February 24 2018 4:36 AM EST2018-02-24 09:36:41 GMT
    Sunday, February 25 2018 8:06 AM EST2018-02-25 13:06:28 GMT
    (AP Photo/Mark Lennihan, File). FILE- In this Feb. 15, 2006, file photo, BlackRock headquarters is shown in New York. U.S. companies are taking a closer look at investments, co-branding deals and other ties to the gun industry and its public face, the ...(AP Photo/Mark Lennihan, File). FILE- In this Feb. 15, 2006, file photo, BlackRock headquarters is shown in New York. U.S. companies are taking a closer look at investments, co-branding deals and other ties to the gun industry and its public face, the ...

NRA faces corporate backlash after latest school shooting.

NRA faces corporate backlash after latest school shooting.