Fire started at apartment complex without working smoke detector - wistv.com - Columbia, South Carolina |

Fire started at apartment complex without working smoke detectors

Posted: Updated:
There is smoke and water damage to eight different units. (Photo Source: WMC Action News 5) There is smoke and water damage to eight different units. (Photo Source: WMC Action News 5)
A fire that damaged an eight-unit apartment building started in a unit that did not have a working smoke detector. (Photo Source: WMC Action News 5) A fire that damaged an eight-unit apartment building started in a unit that did not have a working smoke detector. (Photo Source: WMC Action News 5)
MEMPHIS, TN -

(WMC) - A fire that damaged an eight-unit apartment building Monday started in a unit that did not have a working smoke detector.

Memphis Fire Department was called to the scene of the fire, located at 428 Tillman Street, around 3 a.m. Monday. Seven families are homeless after smoke and flames torched their apartments.

Martha Washington was one of the residents who lost everything in the fire. She says she is fortunate she and her neighbors are OK.

"We lost everything, everything," Washington said. "It was an electrical fire ... We had a refrigerator plugged in, TV and radio."

Firefighters say the fire was caused by a faulty wall receptacle in the den area of one of the units.

MFD requires all citizens to have a working smoke detector in their homes. Anyone can apply for a free smoke detector by contacting Memphis Fire Museum at 901-636-5650.

Red Cross is providing help to the seven families who were displaced by the fire.

Copyright 2014 WMC Action News 5. All rights reserved.

Powered by WorldNow