Investigators blame improperly discarded smoking materials in ap - wistv.com - Columbia, South Carolina |

Investigators blame improperly discarded smoking materials in apartment fire

Posted: Updated:
COLUMBIA, SC (WIS) -

The Columbia Fire Department says a fire at the Gable Oaks Apartment off Colleton Street was started by improperly discarded smoking materials.

Fire department spokesman Brick Lewis said flames were coming from the building when fire crews arrived around 9:20 a.m.

The apartment complex is located just off North Main Street.

Officials say eight adults and two children were displaced as a result of the fire. The Red Cross is assisting the victims.

Damages have been estimated to be worth $57,000.

Follow WIS:    

Copyright 2014 WIS. All rights reserved.

Powered by WorldNow