Lott: I'd take over CPD, but only with total control - wistv.com - Columbia, South Carolina

Lott: I'd take over CPD, but only with total control

Richland County Sheriff Leon Lott says he'd take over the Columbia Police Department as long as he would be in "total control."

In the 18 years Lott has been sheriff, he has been asked numerous times if he would be willing to run the Richland County Sheriff's Department and the Columbia Police Department at the same time. Each time he said yes, and each time the proposal has not made it past initial discussion.

Councilman Cameron Runyan proposed the idea for the fifth time Monday morning, just days before City Manager Teresa Wilson is supposed to name the city's new police chief. Runyan hopes this time, the idea becomes a reality.

"My answer has always been the same every time ... If they need me, I'm here," said Lott Monday afternoon. "Yes, I would take it over, I would lead it. I'd have to be in total control."

Should both departments merge, the agency would be the largest in the state with over 1000 officers.

"The residents of the City of Columbia are still the residents of Richland County," said Lott. "I'm their sheriff."

Lott did not go into detail about exactly how he would structure the command staff of the massive agency, but did say he'd lead just as he does now. "I would manage it and I would lead it like I do the sheriff's department," said Lott. "I am an elected official and I work for the people."

When asked how much he'd be paid to handle the city's operations, he said his conversations have never included compensation. "That's never been brought up," said Lott. "The next step has never been made by the City of Columbia."

While maintaining he'd have control over all decisions affecting the department, Lott did say he does consult with the county manager and county council. He said he would do the same with Columbia's city manager. "We work together," said Lott.

Lott's term as sheriff ends in three than three years. He plans to run again. "I have 10-year-old daughter at home," said Lott. "I need a job."

City council voted 4-3 in 2010 to stop discussion about consolidation.

Copyright 2014 WIS. All rights reserved.

EPA chief gets congressional scolding over ethical lapses

Friday, April 27 2018 12:30 AM EDT2018-04-27 04:30:52 GMT
    Friday, April 27 2018 4:41 AM EDT2018-04-27 08:41:32 GMT
    (AP Photo/Pablo Martinez Monsivais). Environmental Protection Agency Administrator Scott Pruitt pauses while speaking as he testifies before the House Energy and Commerce subcommittee hearing on Capitol Hill in Washington, Thursday, April 26, 2018.(AP Photo/Pablo Martinez Monsivais). Environmental Protection Agency Administrator Scott Pruitt pauses while speaking as he testifies before the House Energy and Commerce subcommittee hearing on Capitol Hill in Washington, Thursday, April 26, 2018.

Lawmakers assail EPA chief over ethical lapses in hearings that triggered bipartisan calls for his ouster.

Amazon raising price of annual Prime membership to $119

Thursday, April 26 2018 5:59 PM EDT2018-04-26 21:59:01 GMT
    Friday, April 27 2018 4:40 AM EDT2018-04-27 08:40:55 GMT
    Amazon has ventured into other business areas including, shipping and medical care, and now banking. (Source: AMAZON/CNN)Amazon has ventured into other business areas including, shipping and medical care, and now banking. (Source: AMAZON/CNN)

Amazon says it will hike up the price of its Prime membership fee by 20 percent next month.

Kim Jong Un says Koreas' on starting line of a new history

Wednesday, April 25 2018 10:38 PM EDT2018-04-26 02:38:28 GMT
    Friday, April 27 2018 4:40 AM EDT2018-04-27 08:40:13 GMT
    Kim Jong Un became the first North Korean leader to cross the Military Demarcation Line into the South. (Source: Pool/CNN)Kim Jong Un became the first North Korean leader to cross the Military Demarcation Line into the South. (Source: Pool/CNN)

Seoul says North Korean leader Kim Jong Un and South Korean President Moon-Jae-in will plant a tree together and inspect an honor guard after Kim walks across the border for the leaders' historic summit.