Burst pipe brings down the kitchen ceiling in one home - wistv.com - Columbia, South Carolina |

Burst pipe brings down the kitchen ceiling in one home

Posted: Updated:

A Columbia family is sleeping in a hotel because the home they rent is not safe for them to stay in after a pipe burst in their kitchen Tuesday afternoon, leaving a big mess.

"When I woke up this morning my son came because there was water dripping everywhere on that side of the kitchen and it came from a pipe bursting," explained Mashanda Burns.

Burns rents her home from Cantey and Company Incorporated in Columbia. She says when she first called to let the property management company know what happened, they weren't very helpful.

"They wanted me to figure out where the water was coming from. I couldn't find it," said Burns.

A plumber came to find the leak, and Burns says things got even messier.

"Once he got the leak under control, this, all this dropped," said Burns. "I have a 10-year-old, an 8-year-old, and a 3-month-old. My 3-month-old was in a room, but my oldest one sat here and watched the disaster just fall. So they're crying and saying "Mama, we need to move, we don't need to be here."

Burns says this isn't the only problem with the house. She recently had to have mold removed, says the wiring in the house is faulty, and paid $300 to the electric company due to what she says is poor insulation.

Cantey and Company President Billy Cantey, tells us they fixed the mold problem in the house, and he doesn't know anything about the electrical issues.

Crews are cleaning up the kitchen, but Burns wants to make sure everything is safe before she moves back in with her kids.

"They claim it will be fixed by tomorrow, but as you can see, this damage is not going to get fixed by tomorrow. Nine out of ten they're going to patch it up like they did the other issues in this house," said Burns.

Burns says she'll keep trying to get the answers and results she wants.

Billy Cantey says they will put the Burns family in a hotel for as long as they need to. He also says they are working to fix the problem and make the home safe.

He says 7 or 8 other tenants had pipes burst, but none have damage as serious as the Burns family.

Online reviews of Cantey and Company show other tenants claim to be having issues getting repairs done on their homes.

We're told there are more than 1,000 people renting through the company.

Copyright 2014 WIS. All rights reserved.

Powered by WorldNow