Police: Seneca woman burned boy, locked kids up for days - wistv.com - Columbia, South Carolina

Bond set for Seneca woman accused of burning boy, locking kids up for days

Mattie Brooks is taken into custody. (Dec. 19, 2013/FOX Carolina) Mattie Brooks is taken into custody. (Dec. 19, 2013/FOX Carolina)
Mattie Brooks (Source: Oconee Co. Detention Center) Mattie Brooks (Source: Oconee Co. Detention Center)
Mattie Brooks mugshot from a previous arrest. (Source: Oconee Co. Detention Center) Mattie Brooks mugshot from a previous arrest. (Source: Oconee Co. Detention Center)
Police have crime scene tape up around the home. (Dec. 19, 2013/FOX Carolina) Police have crime scene tape up around the home. (Dec. 19, 2013/FOX Carolina)
SENECA, SC (FOX Carolina) -

A woman was arrested at a Seneca home Thursday after police said she abused children in her care.

Seneca police Chief John Covington said investigators were following up on complaints and several months of investigation into a foster home and they had enough information to serve search warrants and collect evidence at a home on South Walnut Street Thursday.

FOX Carolina's photographer at the scene said a woman was taken away in handcuffs.

Covington said the woman taken into custody was Mattie Brooks, 58, and she was charged with two counts of unlawful conduct towards a child and first-degree criminal sexual conduct with a minor.

According to the arrest warrants, Brooks is accused of confining a girl to rooms, storage buildings and a dog house for hours and days at a time along with inflicting bodily harm, and causing the child to drink unsafe chemicals.

According to a second warrant, Brooks is accused of burning a boy with an iron object, confining the child to bedrooms, depriving the child of food and water and harming the boy.

Brooks is also accused of sexual battery with a girl who was between 5 and 8 years old at the time of the crime, according to the warrants. One warrant also states Brooks mutilated a child.

A State Law Enforcement Division background check revealed Brooks was convicted of two counts of unlawful neglect of a child previously in South Carolina.

Brooks is being held on $1 million bond and a clause in the bond says she is not allowed to be around anyone under the age of 18.

FOX Carolina obtained warrants and incident reports from a previous conviction of Brooks in 1999 where she was charged with unlawful neglect or abuse by a legal guardian.

According to the incident report, officers were called to an elementary school on Jan. 14, 1999 after DSS notified them of a child with welt marks on his body. The officer said they observed welt marks on the child's legs, right arm. The report said the child was whipped with an electrical cord.

Marilyn Matheus, a spokesperson for the Department of Social Services, released a statement about Brooks on Thursday:

Ms. Brooks is not currently, nor has she ever been licensed by the State of South Carolina as foster parent. The Department of Social Services is committed to protecting children in care. The Agency shares in the community's outrage when any one hurts any child. We will continue to collaborate with law enforcement as appropriate.

Stay with FOX Carolina and foxcarolina.com for the latest in this developing story.

Copyright 2013 FOX Carolina (Meredith Corporation). All rights reserved.

  • South Carolina news on WIStv.comNEWSMore>>

  • Officials: Weinstein to surrender in sexual misconduct probe

    Officials: Weinstein to surrender in sexual misconduct probe

    Friday, May 25 2018 12:22 AM EDT2018-05-25 04:22:30 GMT
    Friday, May 25 2018 7:07 AM EDT2018-05-25 11:07:18 GMT
    (Photo by Chris Pizzello/Invision/AP, File). FILE - In this Jan. 8, 2017, file photo, Harvey Weinstein arrives at The Weinstein Company and Netflix Golden Globes afterparty in Beverly Hills, Calif. Law enforcement officials say Weinstein is expected to...(Photo by Chris Pizzello/Invision/AP, File). FILE - In this Jan. 8, 2017, file photo, Harvey Weinstein arrives at The Weinstein Company and Netflix Golden Globes afterparty in Beverly Hills, Calif. Law enforcement officials say Weinstein is expected to...

    Harvey Weinstein is expected to turn himself in to police in New York City early Friday following a seven-month investigation into sexual assault allegations.

    More >>

    Harvey Weinstein is expected to turn himself in to police in New York City early Friday following a seven-month investigation into sexual assault allegations.

    More >>
  • 2018 SC Gubernatorial race: Candidates for SC Governor go 'on the record'

    2018 SC Gubernatorial race: Candidates for SC Governor go 'on the record'

    Thursday, May 24 2018 11:07 PM EDT2018-05-25 03:07:35 GMT
    The 5 Republicans running for governor in South Carolina. (Source: WIS)The 5 Republicans running for governor in South Carolina. (Source: WIS)
    The 5 Republicans running for governor in South Carolina. (Source: WIS)The 5 Republicans running for governor in South Carolina. (Source: WIS)

    With voters set to cast their ballots June 12 to in the gubernatorial primary election, WIS requested one on one interviews with each of the Republican and Democratic candidates to get each on the record regarding some of the most important issues facing our state.

    More >>

    With voters set to cast their ballots June 12 to in the gubernatorial primary election, WIS requested one on one interviews with each of the Republican and Democratic candidates to get each on the record regarding some of the most important issues facing our state.

    More >>
  • Jury recommends $25M in Johnson & Johnson lawsuit

    Jury recommends $25M in Johnson & Johnson lawsuit

    Thursday, May 24 2018 4:42 PM EDT2018-05-24 20:42:21 GMT
    Friday, May 25 2018 7:06 AM EDT2018-05-25 11:06:54 GMT
    Johnson & Johnson said it's disappointed in the decision and will appeal. (Source: AP Photo/Tony Dejak)Johnson & Johnson said it's disappointed in the decision and will appeal. (Source: AP Photo/Tony Dejak)

    A Southern California jury has ordered Johnson & Johnson to pay more than $25 million to a woman who claimed in a lawsuit that she developed cancer by using the company's talc-based baby powder.

    More >>

    A Southern California jury has ordered Johnson & Johnson to pay more than $25 million to a woman who claimed in a lawsuit that she developed cancer by using the company's talc-based baby powder.

    More >>
Powered by Frankly