Candle fire displaces Scottsdale family - wistv.com - Columbia, South Carolina |

Candle fire displaces Scottsdale family

Posted: Updated:
(Source: Scottsdale Fire Department) (Source: Scottsdale Fire Department)
(Source: Scottsdale Fire Department) (Source: Scottsdale Fire Department)
SCOTTSDALE, AZ (CBS5) -

A Scottsdale family displaced by fire is thankful automatic sprinklers kept it from spreading to adjoining apartments, firefighters said.

The family had left home with candles burning, said Scottsdale Fire Marshal Jim Ford. "There was an open window and the wind blew a piece of cloth onto the flames."

If the apartment complex had not been equipped with automatic fire sprinklers, the fire would have quickly spread to other units.

The sprinklers that were activated kept the blaze from growing until fire crews arrived to put it out.

"The damage is $37,000 but it could have been significantly more, even up to a $2.2 million loss with untold injuries," Ford said.

Scottsdale fire officials issued a warning for people who enjoy having lit candles during the holidays.

"Never leave candles unattended and do not leave children alone with matches or lit candles," fire officials said.  

Copyright 2013 CBS 5 (KPHO Broadcasting Corporation). All rights reserved.

Powered by WorldNow