14 students, teacher taken to hospital after inhaling unknown fu - wistv.com - Columbia, South Carolina

14 students, teacher taken to hospital after inhaling unknown fumes

HICKORY, NC (WBTV) -

Fourteen students and a teacher were taken the hospital in Catawba County Tuesday morning after officials say they became sickened from inhaling some type of fumes at school.

The incident was reported at Hickory Career and Arts Magnet School.

Officials say the incident started around 11:30 a.m. when several students and a teacher collapsed in a classroom.

School officials say it happened in a single classroom, a dance classroom. There was at least one person from an adjoining classroom that became sick.

Officials evacuated the entire hall, the rest of the school remained open.

Some of the affected students were taken to the other end of the school for immediate treatment. Some walked with paramedics to the ambulances while others were taken out on stretchers.

Officials say none of the injuries was considered critical, but all were taken to the hospital for monitoring.

Everyone was treated and released from the hospital on Tuesday.

Students told WBTV that the fumes had a foul odor, which eliminates carbon monoxide since CO does not have an odor.

Authorities are still trying to figure out the source of the fumes.

WBTV has learned that the wing of the school will be closed off on Wednesday while more tests are being conducted.

Copyright 2013 WBTV. All rights reserved.

  • Trending StoriesTrending StoriesMore>>

  • Surprising cause of death in teen boating accident creates 'Raven's Rule'

    Surprising cause of death in teen boating accident creates 'Raven's Rule'

    Wednesday, May 24 2017 3:34 PM EDT2017-05-24 19:34:33 GMT

    16-year-old Raven Little-White died in August, after a boating accident on Lake Waccamaw. The medical examiner’s report lists “drowning” as the probable cause of death, but a toxicology report that came back later revealed Raven had actually succumbed to carbon monoxide poisoning.

    More >>

    16-year-old Raven Little-White died in August, after a boating accident on Lake Waccamaw. The medical examiner’s report lists “drowning” as the probable cause of death, but a toxicology report that came back later revealed Raven had actually succumbed to carbon monoxide poisoning.

    More >>
Powered by Frankly